Wednesday, November 7, 2012

VeganMoFo Day (whatever) - Chili/Cheeze/Potato Casserole

This is what I planned on making the day after the hurricane hit, but with no electric I couldn't run the blender to make the sauce or use the defrosted formerly-frozen hash brown potatoes from the freezer. It's still worth sharing the post, even if I didn't make the dish last week.
~~~~~~~~~
An oldie but goodie. I never saved the url from the original post, but way back on the old VegSource boards, Seedy posted this casserole, made with canned chili and a batch of bean-based cheeze sauce. You can spice it up as much or as little as you want. It's become a favorite in this family.

Seedy's Chili/Cheeze/Potato Casserole

Bottom layer:
3 cans vegetarian chili, or
1 can chili beans in sauce, 1 can kidney beans (rinsed), 1 can black beans (rinsed)

Middle layer:
Golden Cheeze Sauce
1 1/2 cups Great Northern beans, cooked (or one 15.5 can)
6 T nutritional yeast
1/4 cup pimiento pieces (or roasted red peppers)
juice from one freshly squeezed lemon
1 T low-salt shoyu (soy sauce) or tamari
1 t onion powder
1/2 t any type of prepared mustard
1/2 t salt


Blend all until smooth. Refrigerator any leftovers in sealed container.

Top Layer:
1 bag hash brown potatoes sprinkled with chili powder.

Bake uncovered at 400 degrees until potatoes brown and cheeze sauce is bubbly (30-45 min.)
* ~ * ~ * ~ *
Depending on how may cans of chili I have in the house at the time, I use either 3 cans  of it or as many as I have plus canned kidney beans.

Because I'm sodium-sensitive I usually omit the soy sauce in the cheeze sauce and nobody even notices.

WHen I make this dish I also usually pop on a batch of cornbread, either this one from Lori or the one in this recipe from Jan Tz.

And speaking of oldies but goodies, today's Hurricane Sandy ditty is Sandy, from Ronny and the Daytonas. "Sandy, you laugh and run away. You just don't care." Yeah, sounds like our hurricane!

No comments:

Post a Comment