Friday, December 14, 2012

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes

It's no secret I own dozens of cookbooks, both McDougall-friendly ones and some not-so-friendly. Bryanna Clark Grogan's (Almost) No Fat Cookbook falls closer to "friendly" than not, because just about every recipe can be made to eliminate the small amounts of oil she uses.

The following recipe for Scalloped Potatoes comes from that book and was shared on-line by a member of the McDougall forums here. I know Bryanna prefers people ask permission before posting her recipes so I'll just leave that link instead of posting the recipe here myself.

It's a favorite of ours, and really simple to make up after a busy day bringing cars in for winterizing and finding out you need all new brakes and repairs to the brake fluid doohickey, shopping for last minute Christmas gifts for a 29 year old who has everything, and decent wrapping paper. Who ever heard of a Walmart that only had one display box of really cheap paper and nothing else? Yesterday was my husband's last pool day off for the year and we wound up spending a good chunk of it looking for decent gift wrap and wound up in the Hallmark Store, where we got their top quality paper on sale. I told my husband that if we ever win the lottery, look out, because I'll be spending a good chunk of our winnings at that place! 

Back to the casserole. Instead of thin-slicing russets by hand, I buy 2 bags of frozen McCain's sliced potatoes. Instead of AP flour I sprinkle the taters with white whole wheat, and use loads of freshly ground black pepper. Instead of adding salt with each layer of potatoes I just put the shaker on the table, as Dr. McDougall advises. Sometimes I also sprinkle paprika but didn't this time. 

I use a bit more nooch than the recipe calls for - closer to a half cup than a quarter - and homemade rice milk instead of soy.


Here's the leftovers. I didn't get a chance to take a photo last night when it was fresh out of the oven because by the time we sat down to eat we were all starving.

Doesn't this look yummy? Okay, maybe it doesn't look that great, but it is truly delicious.

1 comment:

  1. This is an oldie but very much goodie -- am planning to make it using garden harvested potatoes, with a side of roasted Brussels Sprouts, for dinner tonight....! :-D

    ReplyDelete