Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Curried Split Pea, Potato, Broccoli & Veggies Soup

Another Jeff Novick recipe I made a few weeks ago, one of his rare non-tomato SNAP ones. His new DVD is said to be all non-tomato ones, so I hope it really is released soon. He promised it last year and I'm still waiting. :(

This particular recipe calls for a packaged food (gasp!), Tabachnick's Low Sodium Split Pea Soup that's found in the freezer section.
Well, IF you can find it! The box I used for the recipe I had in the freezer for over 6 months but never got around to using it. Now when I went to replenish it, I can't find it in any store locally, and I hit 6 supermarkets, 2 Walmarts and a K-Mart in search of it. I can find the regular one, the one that's so high in sodium that one serving is equal to an entire day's worth, but not the one I need. In fact the only Tabachnick low-sodium soup I could find at all was the Minestrone - 3 different stores had that one. If I'm truly desperate I suppose I can use a few Right Foods pea soup cups, but the sodium of those will be as high, if not higher, than the Tabachnick's, and that's using the lower sodium ones, too. If I have to make pea soup from scratch, well, then it's no longer a SNAP meal.

So, although I like this recipe, this may be the last time I ever make it, unless the stores start carrying the low-sodium Tabachnick soups again. I asked my favorite store about it and was told the low sodium soups aren't big sellers so they got dropped and no, they won't be carrying them again. But right now, no rush, because peas are a no-no on my husband's gout diet, especailly during these flare-ups.

The recipe is posted on Jeff's Facebook, but I'll repost it here, anyway, for those of you who dislike Facebook:

Curried Split Pea, Potato, Broccoli & Veggies Soup

- 1 Box Tabtachnick Frozen Split Pea Soup
- 4 Medium Potatoes
- 8 oz Frozen Broccoli
- 8 oz Frozen Mixed Veggies
- Curry Powder (Salt Free)

While Frozen Soup is cooking (boil in the bags), dice potatoes and place in pot. Cover with water to cover the potatoes, bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Add frozen veggies and cook a few more minutes. The boil-in-the-bag soup should be done now and so add to the pot. Add curry powder. Stir well.


Another yummy addition to the list of favorite SNAP recipes. As with most foods, my husband added a squirt of sriracha sauce to his bowl for a bit of flavoring, but I found it delicious as-is. 

I'm really going to miss my SNAP meals! I hope after this gout flare I can tweak enough that they're still enjoyable and tasty, even if I have to eliminate all peas and beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment