Thursday, February 20, 2014

Making Rice Milk At Home

I love rice milk and use it almost exclusively for cooking and in tea. I know I really shouldn't be drinking the Rice Dreams brand because of the small amount of oil in it, but it's tastier than soy or nut based milks, and less gritty than oat milk.

Mary McDougall posted a few decades ago her recipe for making rice milk in your own kitchen using a cup of cooked rice (white was fine, she said) and 3 1/2 cups water, whirred together in a blender. The addition of a bit of sugar and/or vanilla is optional.

This person on the Protective Diet blog makes hers using a half cup of uncooked rice and 3 1/2 cups of water, then straining it through a nut/paint bag.


If my cars stay iced in much longer I'm going to have to start making my own milk, like it or not. If I have any rice already cooked (In my new Zojirushi Rice Cooker - another post), I'll use that, but if not, I'll try this method of using the rice uncooked. 

Just before the last 3 storms that dumped 2 feet of snow and ice on us and encased our cars in solid sleet, I picked up a jar of raw almond butter. My son prefers the almond milk when he makes his mac and not cheese for lunches and dinners, and Ann Esselstyn says almond milk is what she and Dr. Esselstyn uses. Although I still have 2 quarts left in the pantry, they won't last forever, especially with more snow predicted for next week. As luck would have it, I purchased a nut milk bag recently, before all this bad weather hit, but never stocked up on almonds. The only place that sells them is the HFS, and even though my husband has taken the bus down to the store a few times since we've been snowed in, they haven't gotten any nuts in. I'm so glad I thought to buy the nut butter!


I made this for him once before and poured it into a washed out almond milk box and he never noticed a difference. Isn't it sad that I still have to play these kinds of tricks with a 30 year old? I feel sorry for any future wife of his! LOL

When these containers we currently have are gone, I'll tell him what I did in the past and let him know this is how we're going to do it from now on. It'll save a heck of a lot of money, and one little jar of almond butter is easier to store than a few quarts of ready made milk. And I'll set a good example by making my own rice milk, too. At least I'll finally get to use that strainer bag.

1 comment:

  1. Julie on protective diet is amazing. I make her milk all the time and it is perfect. She has wonderful recipes and her PD ED classes are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete