Monday, January 5, 2015

Tomato and Tortilla Soup

This soup comes form Chef AJ's book, Unprocessed. I was playing around with some of her recipes before her new book comes out and decided to try this one.

Tomato and Tortilla Soup

4 cups red onions, finely diced (about 3)
6 cloves garlic, minced or through a garlic press
4 14.5-ounce cans salt-free diced tomatoes
4 cups water
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
12 small corn tortillas, oil and salt-free, cut into sixths (one 12-ounce package)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (approximately 2 limes)
avocado and cilantro for garnish (optional)

In a large pot, water saute the onions until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and water and bring the pot to a boil. 
Stir in the tomato powder and mix until dissolved, then add the chili powder and stir.
Reduce the heat, stir in the tortillas, cover, and let simmer about 15 minutes, until the soup is hot and tortillas soft and broken down.
Remove from the heat, stir in the lime juice.
Garnish with sliced avocado and cilantro, if desired.

Chef AJ's note:
Normally to thicken a soup you use a Roux made from butter, flour and cream. The corn tortillas do the same thing as they break down, giving the soup a creamy texture and mouth feel but in a more healthful way.

Now, let's see, what changes did I make?

No changes with the onion; used Dorot garlic cubes; 2 boxes Pomi chopped instead of canned diced; again used that Mato Zest from Dr. Fuhrman (I told you the jar is neverending!); nothing special about the chili, corn tortillas or the lime juice.



I just didn't like it. We've had other tortilla soups and enjoyed them, but something was just "off" about this one. I think it's the lime juice. I'm just not a citrus person, and recipes form both AJ and Ann Esselstyn that have all this lemon and lime stuff just makes me feel ick.

But my husband loved it. He said he wouldn't mind if I made it again and he had to eat the whole potful by himself. Isn't he sweet, willing to sacrifice himself like this? LOL 

I probably won't make this recipe again, but will stick with one of my McDougall or other ones, but if you don't mind lime juice in your tomato soup, you'll probably enjoy it as much as my husband did.

No comments:

Post a Comment