Saturday, September 8, 2018

Ann and Jane - Cauliflower Steaks


Darn! I KNOW I made these more than once at home, and would have sworn I did a blog post on them with photos, but I'm wrong - the only trace of this meal on my entire computer is the written recipe itself.

Cauliflower Steaks
makes 4 steaks, plus pieces
1 head cauliflower (find a large one)
1/2 cup Our Hummus
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (white works best for color)
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Cut a head of cauliflower in half, then cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch "steaks" about 4 or 6 in all, and place them flat in the prepared pan. Lots of tiny bits may fall apart; that is okay. Place them all on the pan. (2 pans may be needed if cauliflower is large)
Make the sauce. Combine the hummus, nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons water, green onions, and parsley and stir. Spread this sauce over the cauliflower steaks and over the extra pieces. Sprinkle the remaining balsamic vinegar in thin lines over the top of all the coated cauliflower. 
Bake for 30 minutes. Check, and continue to bake longer if the steaks aren't soft enough. The steaks should be soft and browned on the top and bottom. Actually, the longer these cook, the better.

These things are delicious! I've made them using plain hummus, Pizza Hummus, even did them once using a can of refried beans instead of hummus, and they're delicious either way. Then again, I love cauliflower even roasted plain with nothing on it, so I may be a bit prejudiced.

I like Ann's idea of adding some red pepper to it, and next time I make it I might use the Pizza Hummus that I always have in the refrigerator (Hubby's daily lunch preference) and toss in a bit of pimiento or finely diced roasted red pepper. 

Mmmmmm! 

Today is grocery day - I hope they have some nice cauliflower, because now I have a hankering for this! With a few days of below 90º coming up, I don't mind lighting the oven again.

No comments:

Post a Comment