Thursday, February 28, 2019

Harmony House Pantry Stuffer Sampler

I've written about Harmony House and their dehydrated products before. Because I've been a fairly steady customer, they mail me codes for special sales now and then. Last week they sent a limited edition code for 28% off all products.

Whoa! That's a big discount!

Well, I took advantage of that code to finally order the Pantry Stuffer Sampler - 12 quart containers, each one with a different dehydrated soup or chili mix.


When I got my winter veggies a few months ago, along with my order they sent a free sample of their "Unbelievable Black Bean Chili" mix.
At only 2 1/2 ounces, it would barely make up a lunch-sized bowl, so I kept putting it off, telling myself that someday I would buy a larger sized package and add this to it. Well, that day finally came.


The directions on the packet and the jar were slightly different, but not by much. The packet had suggested using a slow cooker for best flavor, so out came my trusty 46 year old Crockpot. In it went the correct amount of water to allow for both the packet and a decent amount of the jarred chili mix. It looked like a bit too much liquid for the amount of mix, so I added an additional half cup of the chili mix. I popped the lid onto my Crockpot, flipped the switch to High, and let it cook. The package says to cook 3-4 hours in a 2 quart slow-cooker, and the company just happens to sell just such a Crockpot on their web site and currently it's $5 cheaper than on Amazon

After 5 hours on High heat, the chili ingredients were cooked well enough, but there didn't seem to be enough "solids" for the meal (I was making enough for 10 servings, according to the labels) and there was way too much liquid in the pot. I poured everything into a pot and added yet another half cup of chili mix and followed the stovetop directions. After 15 minutes it still looked like there wouldn't be enough food for 3 hungry adults and added a can of black beans, stirred them in, and called it a day. To bulk up the meal I took some leftover cornbread out of the freezer, heated them in the microwave, sliced them, then served the soupy chili over them.

Sorry, no photo, because by now my guys were getting cranky and wanted to eat.

Although it was still very watery, the chili did taste good. The chili's saucy part was more of a brown gravy than anything associated with our usual tomato-based chili recipes, even though there were tomatoes as part of the chili mix. An insert with the sampler box listed various suggested seasonings that the store also sells to use with each chili or soup mix, even though each quart jar doesn't call for anything other than water to make the meals. For the black bean chili they suggested their Tomato Plus seasoning. Next time I'll add the main ingredients of that blend - tomato powder and nutritional yeast, All the other seasonings they sell contain oil and added sweeteners, so purchasing any of them is not an option.

I suspect the problem was the age of my Crockpot. I got this as a wedding gift so long ago (1977) the pots were set at lower temperatures. The newer (um, maybe 1990's and above?) pots cook at much higher temperatures, so high that liquid cooked on High heat will now boil. I remember how frustrated cooks and cookbook authors were when the temps were increased - every recipe had to be adjusted to reflect the newer temps. According to this article, the High temps are now around 300º. My old pot never got hot enough to boil, so never even reached 212º. The newer, larger one, that I used here in this old post did boil - a lot. I wish I had more storage space in this apartment - if I did, I would gladly buy the 2 quart pot in dark red.

But for now, when I make up more meals from this sampler, I'll stick to to the stovetop directions and hope that by doing so more of the liquid boils down and chilis come out a bit thicker. If not, maybe I'll make a slurry of cornstarch and water to add in before the end to thicken it all.





No comments:

Post a Comment