Saturday, September 28, 2019

Mexi Corn Soup

Here's another McDougall soup I tried for the first time this week. This one comes from the book The McDougall Program for A Healthy Heart. It's currently out of print, but you can find it both new and used from various book vendors, and you can get the PDF version of it from the McDougall web site, regular price $10 but using the code download20 get it for 20% off. It's well worth the money even at regular price. Dr. McDougall discuses how the basic McDougall program works for those with heart disease, and many of my favorite Mary McDougall recipes are from this book. This book contains the eating plan Dr. Esselstyn based his program on.

On to the recipe:
Mexican Corn Soup
SERVINGS: 6
PREPARATION TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 25 MINUTES
1/3 cup water
4 cups Vegetable Broth
3 cups frozen shredded potatoes (no fat added)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 green bell pepper, chopped 1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups mild salsa
1 clove garlic, minced 1/4  teaspoon dried oregano
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)

Place the water in a large soup pot with the .green pepper, green onions,
and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the remaining
ingredients, except the cilantro, and cook over medium low heat for 20
minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving, if desired.

I did substitute a bit, like dried Zatarain's Chopped Green Onions (by McCormack) and dried green pepper flakes from Burma Spice instead of fresh. Because of this, I added an extra half cup of water to the pot. I also skipped the optional cilantro garnish.


At first, my husband was disappointed when he sat down and looked in the bowl. He thought I said I was making the same old Mexi Soup that I've been making for years, and was looking forward to having that tomato based soup. He was also disappointed there was no cornbread with it, like I serve with the Mexi Soup. 

He quit pouting as soon as he had that first spoonful.

What I show in the photo is about half a Corningware serving bowl because I wanted to hurry up and get the picture before he sat down to eat. Each bowl holds about 4 cups comfortably. I filled each bowl to twice what's shown. He ate 2 full bowls to my one and he wanted more, he said it was so good. Not that he could fit any more into his tummy, it just tasted so good he wanted more. He waddled away from the table quite satisfied with his now full belly, declaring this one is another keeper.

Chalk up another win for Mary McDougall!

No comments:

Post a Comment