Monday, May 5, 2008

Broccoli-Barley Toss

Here's a McDougall recipe I've been making for a few years now, Broccoli-Barley Toss.

I usually use regular shelled peas because we're not pea-pod fans in this house. If I don't have a can of bean sprouts around I leave it out. I sometimes substitute an equal amount of frozen pepper strips for the fresh red & green ones, and always toss in the whole 8-ounce box of sliced mushrooms.

Mary McDougall claims this makes 8 servings. The veggies really cook down while the barley blows up as it cooks. We're big eaters, and this usually lasts for one dinner for 2 hungry people plus a small container-full to put away for lunch the next day. For people with normal sized appetites, you might get 6 to 8 servings if you keep the serving size down to around 1 cup each.

No comments:

Post a Comment