Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Moby Potato

This beauty was in the middle of a bag of russets I bought the other day. On Sunday I cooked up 3 of the potatoes at the top of the bag, each one a bit over a pound in weight. This baby (Look at the SIZE of it!!) weighs in at 3 pounds, 2 ounces.

Once it was washed, chopped and herb-sprinkled it took up a whole baking pan by itself. 

For dinner I washed a whole 5-pound bag of Yukon Golds, but in the 3 days since I bought them, a few started growing eyes already, a few green ones were discovered, and a few had such deep gouges packed with dirt that by the time I cut out all the bad parts I had just a bit more than half the bag left. This monster filled in nicely for the missing YG's.

Along with a bag of Brussels sprouts, 3 pounds of carrots and a bag of pearl onions, these veggies covered a lasagna dish, 2 baking sheets and a large casserole dish. Each got a different no-salt herbal spice on them - Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle for my husband, McCormick Garlic & Herb for my son, Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic for me, and the three of us share the pan with McCormick Sicilian. I also have a jar of McCormick Roasted Garlic and Bell Pepper but won't be using it and I won't be buying it again. When my husband read off the ingredients he saw "natural flavoring" but didn't mention to me that the label says that flavoring is milk. (sigh)

This is a great, simple meal, and leftovers, if any, can be eaten as lunches or snacks for the next few days. 

All hail the mighty spud!

No comments:

Post a Comment