Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pizza Hummus


I have a new favorite food - Pizza Hummus!

I pre-ordered Chef AJ/John Pierre's latest program, Ultimate Weight Loss, and with the pre-order came a few bonuses, like a refrigerator magnet that looks very similar in content to Jeff Novick's Caloric Density chart:


a red rubber bracelet that reminds us to eat to the left of the red line (the left of the green arrow on Jeff's chart, if you move the arrow over one to the right to include legumes), and membership in their Ultimate Weight Loss private Facebook page. Sorry I can't link to the DVD itself right now - it seems to have vanished form Chef AJ's web site store.

Because it's private, we're not supposed to share things we see posted there, so I can't share the exact recipe for this hummus as it was posted by member Sharon. But I guess I *can* share the ingredients, because a list of foods can't be copyrighted:

2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
garlic cloves (I used 4 cubes of Dorot frozen minced garlic)
sun-dried tomatoes (I put about a cup in a measuring cup and let them soak in some boiling water for a half hour first)
red onion (I don't usually have this in the house so used the equivalent, about half a cup, of frozen diced yellow onion)
nutritional yeast (I used 1/4 cup)
dried oregano (1/4 teaspoon was enough for me
dried basil (A heaping tablespoon looked good)

I tossed all this in my food processor and let it whirl a few minutes, scraped it all down with my silicone spatula, and gave it a few more minutes to make sure the Dorot was defrosted and mixed in and those half-tomatoes were all broken down.

You can find other pizza hummus recipes on-line, but they usually contain oil, tahini, dairy cheese, and/or salt.

Here's what it looked like in the end in the storage container:


Little flecks of tomato and basil, a nice hint of garlic and cheese - it's fantastic! My husband now eats this as a snack at night, spread on a warm corn tortilla and rolled up. He says it tastes as close to one of those greasy frozen pizza rolls as he ever wants to get any more.

I'e already made up a second batch and it's as tasty as the first. Thanks, Sharon M.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! Thanks so much for sharing...finding recipes for this way of eating isn't always easy, so your time and effort is truly appreciated :-)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the inspiration. one question...where do you purchase sun dried tomatoes...the only ones i have seen are in oil. most appreciative for any assistance you can proffer,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our local grocery store has the dry sun-dried tomatoes in containers in the produce department. At first they were over by the fresh tomatoes, then moved around a bit, and lately have been close to the dried fruits.

    Our health food store used to sell them in their bulk section, but after watching too many people grab them by hand and sneak eat them, they dropped them.

    There's always Amazon for hard-to-get items if you can't find them locally.

    ReplyDelete