Sunday, September 20, 2015

Confessions of a Low Class Vegan: 3 Years Later


A few years ago, Karl Seff, PhD, did a video for the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii called "Confessions of a Low Class Vegan" that I wrote about in this blog post (along with a bunch of other off-topic stuff).

Now he's done it again. The reason for the re-do was that the brightness was off on his original recording so he was invited back to give the talk again. Much of the information is repeated, sometimes word-for-word, in the new one, but this man is such a joy to listen to, it's worth hearing it all twice.



I really should make more of these super-simple, low-class meals. I did it a number of times during those hot summer days, and they're so much easier to do in the Instant Pot. With winter rapidly approaching, I guess it's time to get serious about streamlining and simplifying meals. I already started the Great Winter Stock-Up and have been buying extra rice and dried beans whenever I can. I do have to check the dates on the canned vegetables - I know some of them must be outdated by now - and get fresh ones for this coming winter. After watching this new video this afternoon I even tossed a bag of wheatberries into the Amazon cart - he says they go great with home made into beans, especially with added beets, zucchini, and beet greens. I even ordered freeze-dried soup vegetables to make bean soups with handfuls of dried veggies when snowed in so I don't have to make those treks to the local mom and pop grocery store as often as I did the past 2 winters. That's something Dr. Seff never has to worry about in Hawaii, and if/when we ever move back to Florida, neither will I.

Speaking of simple, I better go check on my lentils and soon-to-be mashed potatoes. Unlike Dr. Seff, my lentils, Sloppy Lentil Joes, do have more than 1 or 2 ingredients. Still, it's all tossed into one pot and simmered an hour. My spuds are in the Instant Pot cooking up with the milk and spices - you can't get much simpler than that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment