Friday, November 22, 2019

More from the Esselstyns

This time it was a member of the community who had approached the Esselstyns to ask questions. Here's what he posted about the encounters:

Martin Kilroy
100% Esselstyn Nutrition Forum
11/19/2019
In an earlier thread, I suggested that it was not "required"  to include ground flaxseed or chia seeds in the Esselstyn reversal diet.  I would think that our diet has sufficient omega 3 fats.


I posed this question to Ann and Dr. Ess via email:  
Could you please clarify whether the flax or chia is "required" on the heart disease reversal plan?


Ann:
Put ground flax in your oat cereal…one tablespoon and when it is mixed in you will not know it’s there.  Be  sure to use ground.  The whole flax goes right through you.


Dr. Ess:
Flax or chia and green leafy vegetables are valuable for obtaining omega-3.


When I saw Dr. Esselstyn last night, I again asked:
Do you require flax or chia seeds to get your omega 3 fats or do you get enough from all the greens that we're eating?


Dr. Ess: I like it if you can put either a tablespoon of flaxseed meal or a tablespoon of chia seeds on your cereal in addition to eating plenty of green leafy vegetables. (emphasis on like and plenty)


I'm now adding the tablespoon of flaxseed meal to my morning steel cut oats and I'm not going to quibble about whether it's "required."


No comments:

Post a Comment