Monday, December 9, 2019

Heather's Lentil Soup

Finally, after a few weeks of vacation, birthdays, anniversary, Thanksgiving, and a few doctors' appointments, it's back to trying new (to me) soup recipes. This one is Heather's Lentil Soup:

Lentil Soup
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 2 hours
Serves: 6
By Heather McDougall
This soup is a favorite of my boys and so easy to make. I think one of the reasons
they like it, is because I chop all of the vegetables really small. And, like most of the
soups I make, if you don't have an ingredient, such as carrot or kale, leave it out or
substitute another favorite ingredient.
Ingredients
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
6 small white potatoes, finely chopped
16 ounce bag brown lentils
16 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
8 cups vegetable broth or water
1-2 cups finely chopped spinach
salt to taste
Directions
Combine all ingredients, except the spinach, and cook on low for 2 hours. Add the spinach about 10 minutes before the soup is done

I was so tired that day - I was up most of the night with severe foot and leg cramps, and then my knee was acting up - so I did this one the easy way, using frozen diced onions,  cubed frozen hash brown potatoes, and frozen spinach. I did take a minute to dice up the carrots. I didn't adding any salt because the only fire roasted tomatoes I could find are the salted kind.


Even after adding another 2 cups of water as it cooked on the stove, and forgetting to add the spinach, it was so thick it shouldn't really be called a soup. But it was really delicious!


Next time - and there WILL be one - I'll add a lot more water so we have some liquid to dunk bread into. 

Now that I'm making bread in our bread machine again (Thanks to Dave's Killer Bread now having oil and our grocery store's irregular deliveries of Ezekial breads), hubby wants an excuse to eat it more often aside from his lunchtime sandwiches. Next thing you know he'll be asking for pizza again.

No comments:

Post a Comment