Friday, December 13, 2019

More Dressing Up with Ann & Jane Esselstyn






Ann's Plant Perfect dressing:

"In the Pink" Dressing
1 medium to large Chiogga beet (or any beet, but the Chiogga makes it pink)
2-3 cloves garlic
zest of 1 orange
1 orange - peeled and cut - or slightly under 1 cup orange juice
zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon balsamic vinegar (or any white vinegar)
Blend together in food processor.


Remember that Heinz Ketchup commercial where the tagline was "It's slow good!"? Well, that's how this stuff is. It's so thick it came through that funnel in plops, not as a liquid. If I ever make this again I'll probably go with orange juice. I usually keep a few of those 1 1/2 cup bottles around for making the sweet potato chili in Chef AJ's book, so what's one or 2 more to make this dressing, right?

You'll notice mine is yellowish-orange, not pink like Ann's. It would have been maroon except the Acme store near my son's job happened to have Golden Beets the other day and I grabbed a bunch. 3 tiny golf-ball sized beets, organic, for $5, plus the orange (another buck) and a 59 cent lemon, all for about a cup of dressing.

But how does it taste? Well, mine wasn't as sour as Ann's, that's for sure! I only had a teeny bit over my lunchtime red beets yesterday, and my husband won't be having it until tonight's rice and veggie meal. He's the one who asked me to make this after watching the video, so it's not going to be a surprise for him. I'm sure he's going to love it.

Now for the other recipe . . .

TRIGGER WARNING!!
This sauce contains stuff that tastes delicious and is addicting to certain people!
It contains an ingredient NOT allowed on McDougall's MWLP, Engine 2 Seven Day Recipe Rescue,  the Esselstyn Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease food plan, nor on any of Chef AJ's plans! It's just fine for the regular McDougall Starch Solution and Engine 2 programs.

You have been warned!

Jane's Plant Strong sauce:

Dragon Sauce
Makes about 1 cup
In a food processor or blender:
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium tamari
1-2 tablespoons 100% maple syrup
1 tablespoon hot sauce (Sriracha, etc.)
2 cloves peeled garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger
1/3 cup of water (or more, depending on consistency preferred)


The Engine 2 Cookbook
page 94


I made this one in the jar that came with my Ninja blender instead of the food processor. It just seemed like overkill to use an 11-cup appliance for a 1 cup amount of ingredients. I only used 1 tablespoon maple syrup because I'm running low, and used just a few drops of sriracha because I'm not a fan of spicy things, and even one drop of this stuff on some rice or veggies makes my tongue sweat.

OMG!!! This stuff is amazing! A nice fatty mouth feel, the sweetness of the syrup, the spiciness of the ginger and garlic, the little Hey! of the sriracha! That's a 1 1/2 cup squirt bottle, so you can see it made maybe a pinch over 1 cup of sauce. I'm in trouble - it's taking all of my willpower and strength NOT to just drink this stuff up! As much as I love it based on a bit on my finger wiped off the blender container, I just can NOT make this ever again! You know how Dr. McDougall says he could live on just potatoes? I would attempt to live on just this sauce! Lucky for me, though, my son loves peanut butter, even takes 2 sandwiches into work each day (He's finally off cheese! Yay!), so I'm sure he'll take this off my hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment