Monday, August 17, 2020

Flying Zucchini Slabs

Back in 2018, Ann & Jane Esselstyn did a video called Frying Zucchini Slabs that I commented on here.

Well, I finally got around to making some yesterday on the last day of our vacation. All week the daytime temps were in the 90's and night time not much cooler so I really didn't want to spend much time in the kitchen, but the heat broke yesterday so I had a chance to play.

Unlike Ann & Jane, I peeled my zucchini before slicing it, and like Ann, regret not slicing it even thinner than I did. I used the video's recipe that called for balsamic vinegar instead of the book's recipe's Bragg's Aminos. I also used the air fryer instead of a skillet. I placed my parchment paper circle down, laid out the slabs of zukes, coated them with balsamic, then air fried for 8 minutes @ 370º.

Well, it was barely warmed. I flipped them over, put on a coat of vinegar to the other side, then cranked the heat up to 400º and set it for 10 minutes.



Ah, looks a lot better now!

First I tried to just pick one up to eat, but it was a bit tough to bite into. I tried breaking it with a fork, but again no go. Out came one of the 42 year old steak knives. Some were cutting easily, but the tough parts were still tough. But to be honest, as tough as it was to cut, it really wasn't "chewy" tough. Maybe I'm just a weakling. 

And they tasted delicious.  

I have 5 more zucchini in the refrigerator, and will make up another one or 2 for today's lunch, but this time will do it as written, with Bragg's Aminos instead of balsamic vinegar. It'll be a bit neater because I'll use the spray bottle instead of pouring and using my finger to coat them. I'll also use the onion and garlic powder and maybe the black pepper that the original recipe also calls for. Once again they'll go into the air fryer, but I'll start off at 400º for 10 minutes. I'm sure it'll be just as tasty, if not more so, as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment