Monday, May 20, 2013

Randa's SNAP Corn Chowder

Everyone who knows the VegSource team or Jeff Novick knows the Nelson Twins, Randa and Nina.


The girls appeared in Jeff's first 2 Fast Food videos, among other places. Randa has also developed some recipes of her own, including the one I made yesterday for lunch, her version of a SNAP meal, Corn Chowder:


RANDA'S CORN CHOWDER
Ingredients:
-onion
-bag of frozen corn
-bag of frozen cauliflower
-bag a frozen peas
-2 large potatoes
-rosemary
-2 low sodium vegetable broths
-cup of leafy greens (kale, spinach, etc.)
Preparation:
-Pre-cook potatoes in the microwave.
-Chop up onion and sautee it with some rosemary in a pot.
-Add 2 cartons low sodium vegetable broths to pot.
-Add bag of frozen peas, cauliflower, and corn to pot.
-Add leafy greens of choice.
-Cut up the potatoes, and add them to the pot.
-Bring to a boil
-Let simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes (until vegetables are cooked)
-Serve

I did nothing different except simmer this soup longer than 20 minutes because we like our cauliflower soft. Here it is, right after the initial boil:



Most corn chowders I've seen have some form of milk in it - this one doesn't. To me, this made it just a corn soup, but a tasty one at that.

Also, when I make chowders, I usually grab the immersion blender and have at it, but this one I left intact and whole. After being sick with the flu for the past week and a half (yes, again) it was nice to actually taste the individual components of a meal again.

We each had 2 big bowls and I have 3 of my Corningware 3-cup containers filled with leftovers for lunches during the week. It's going up in the low 80's today and the air conditioners aren't in the windows yet, so I'll probably enjoy this cold later.

No comments:

Post a Comment