Friday, March 14, 2014

Another Jan Tz Gem - Chickpea Gravy

For many years I used only canned gravy. My mom was a bad gravy maker when she made it from scratch, using the grease at the bottom of a roasting pan as the base and adding flour and salt and whisking with a fork until it sort of resembled a liquid. I hated her gravy and never used it and my 2 brothers didn't like it but took a bit of it, but she and my dad would drink it up like a beverage. Gravy like that contributed to her death at age 44 of a massive heart attack and my dad's 20 years battle with a variety of cancers.

I tried a few Mary McDougall gravy recipes, as well as some from Julie Hasson, but the first home-made gravy we ever truly loved came from Isa Chandra Moskowitz from her book Vegan With A Vengeance called Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy. I McDougalled it, of course, by omitting the oil. It was delicious, and our go-to recipe for years.

But I wanted something quicker and with less ingredients. 

Lately I've been looking over a lot of my MWLP recipes cardfile and the 3-ingredient recipes gathered from the McDougall forums over the years, and came across this gem from Jan Tz that she posted to the original McDougall recipe forum on VegSource almost 10 years ago.

CHICKPEA GRAVY

Put into blender jar:
1 can chickpeas, with liquid
dashes (to taste): salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning
1/2 cup water, more or less, depending on how thick you want it.

Whiz it all up until the chickpeas are pureed, and the whole thing is smooth and thick. Heat it up in a saucepan (you could nuke it), then pour over toasted bread, rice, or spudz.

Man, you can't get much simpler than that! And my husband and I agree that it tastes better than Isa's recipe, too, maybe because of its simplicity.

I think this is now our new go-to gravy recipe. It'll jazz up those instant/frozen potatoes, even make a simple rice and veggie meal into something, well, more!

Thanks again, Jan, for your kitchen wizardry. And stop disappearing from the McDougall forums for such long stretches. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment