Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Ann and Jane - All Oat Waffles





Another fun romp in the kitchen with Ann and Jane Esselstyn, this time waffles made with oats. I know every WFPB cooking guru has their own version of waffles and pancakes (Here's Heather McDougall's passed down by her mom Mary), but this one is so simple.

How simple is it?

Simple enough that I made some of my own this morning! Like they did, I used water, even though the book says plant milk or water.




OK, so they're really thick! Also, notice I got 7 waffles on the plate. At first I messed up the measurements and had a cup of water to a half cup of oats and wondered why it was so wet. Oops. I'm awake since 3am so have a little sympathy! Wound up making a double batch. Also, 8 minutes may be a bit too long. As you see, some of mine are almost burnt at that time. Next time I'll try them at 5 or 6 minutes. That also made them a bit dry, and, to be honest, not that tasty. My son took one look at them and walked away, saying he'll make his own breakfast later. I really didn't expect him to partake, since he's not a fan of oatmeal in any way, shape, or form. More for me! LOL

I did something totally anti-Esselstyn. First, I broke a few in pieces and dunked them in one of those half cup containers of natural no-sugar added applesauce. When that was gone, I used a teensy bit of pure maple syrup. The applesauce tasted better. Maybe in the future I'll try making the Raspberry Sauce that is recommended in the book, but using blueberries because I despise raspberries. It's only 10 ounces of thawed frozen berries and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar whirred together in a food processor to make a smooth sauce. I have no frozen fruit at the moment, hence the applesauce.  

They were a nice change of pace, but it's still a pain in the neck to make and clean up after. Who wants to wash out a food processor and waffle iron first thing in the morning?! But it does make a nice crispy waffle (if you eat them within 5-10 minutes. After that they go soggy.), good for a grab-and-go breakfast if you make up a bunch to keep in the freezer. That's where most of these went.

If I ever try to make these again, I might try a savory version, with baby spinach, sun-dried tomato strips, and nutritional yeast.

I was also thinking of using a savory, or just plain, version to make something to eat hamburgers on. There really aren't many gluten-free AND oil-free options out there in bun-land, rice cakes are too crunchy and crumbly, and lettuce or collard leaves used as wraps allow all the toppings to slide right off and onto the plate, table, or my shirts. But these seem to be a bit too thick for that purpose. Maybe I can open the waffle iron way before time so they split in half, then use those 2 halves like a bun. Hmmm. Might work. I hope so, because I really miss eating burgers. I have at least a dozen recipes I want to try, in addition to Jeff's and Mary McDougall's that are already favorites. I'm too lazy to stand over a stove and make fat flats (similar to pancakes) out of this dough.

But for breakfast? I'm back to hot oatmeal tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment