Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Baked Ziti tonight

My back is still sore, so another easy meal today - Baked Ziti.

First I'll make the Tofu Basil Ricotta from the Post Punk Kitchen/Vegan With A Vengeance. I usually make that early in the day so the flavors have time to gather strength.

This afternoon I'll boil up a box of whole wheat ziti, and while that's cooking I'll sauté up some sliced onions, peppers and crushed garlic. When the pasta is done and drained I'll dump everything together, stir well, then pop it all into my 9 x 13" Pyrex baking dish and pop it into the oven. I wish I had some veg mozzarella and/or Parmesan cheese to top it off. Oh, well.

But before I even start the pasta, I'll toss some stuff into the ABM and make dough for Italian bread. When I pop the ziti into the oven I'll toss the risen loaves in, too,
and whatever isn't eaten today will go into the freezer for Saturday's spaghetti meal.

I love this bread pan.
I bought it many years ago from King Arthur Flour and it paid for itself within weeks. OK, so my bread may not be authentic because I toss some whole wheat flour in there instead of semolina, but who cares? All we want is something to sop up the tomato sauce and soup.

Ah, soup! I almost forgot! Well, luckily I have a very easy tomato soup recipe and I keep all the ingredients on hand. A giant 28 ounce can of crushed or pureed tomatoes, a chopped up onion, minced garlic, and my secret ingredient — a packet of Italian salad dressing, like the Good Seasons fat-free Italian
or garlic, or the generic equivalent from Penzy's Spices. Add enough water to make a decent amount of soup, maybe toss a can of diced tomatoes in (salt free, of course), and you've got a great tasting tomato soup. If the soup was to be the meal, as we so often do, I would just toss in a can of kidney beans.

Now to go put that heating pad on my back again and watch last night's episode of Heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment