Monday, January 28, 2013

Happy Accidents Stew

Michelle Berkowitz, on the Fuhrman forums, posted this recipe back in October (Sorry, but the link will only work if you're a paying member of the forums), and I've been planning to make it but never got around to it.




Happy Accidents Stew

64 oz jug of Odwalla carrot juice
64 oz water
2 chopped onions (raw or water sautéed)
2 C Bob's Red Mill Vegi Mix
1 C black rice
32 oz jar crushed tomatoes no salt added (Eden brand is good)
Bag of sun-dried tomatoes
 Head of chopped cauliflower
2 heaping T sweet curry powder

Water sauté the onions for a few minutes, then dump all the other ingredients into a large pot.
Turn to boiling, lower to a simmer and let cook for one hour.

Before serving, stir a bag of frozen chopped spinach into the pot.

Oh, my! This practically filled my big 8 quart pressure cooker pot! At least after an hour of simmering the level went down a bit, thickening the stew nicely. We'll have plenty for tonight's dinner (with seconds?) and lunch for the weekend. I just have to find freezer or fridge room.

My changes:
I used 2, 32-ounce bottles of Lakewood carrot juice because that seems to be the only carrot juice in this entire city.

I did water sauté the onions.

Having no idea what size "bag" of tomatoes Michelle was referring to, so I just used 2 cups from the quart-sized container that I keep in the fridge and cut each tomato half in half or quarters, depending on its size.

Instead of black rice I used a cup of Lundberg Countrywild rice blend, which does include black rice.

A box of Pomi brand chopped tomatoes instead of canned  crushed.

A bag of frozen cauliflower and about 2 cups of frozen spinach instead of fresh.

Yeah, my husband will appreciate this more that some baked potatoes, gravy and veggies for dinner, especially now that he's coming home in sleet and freezing rain. 

And I better keep an apron handy to wear while eating it. I'm such a slob and carrot juice is a horror to wash out of clothes, especially "natural cotton" t-shirt material.

No comments:

Post a Comment