Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lazy Sunday Stew

We're all still suffering with the winter cold/flu in this house, and besides soup, the next best thing to getting those sinuses draining is a nice spicy chili. But because I used up all my energy at the grocery store then making that tofu lunch, I wanted something easy to toss together for dinner, something I can just pop on the stove on low on top of the flame tamer and forget about for a while, maybe even take a short nap and not worry about anything burning. This stew fits the bill.

The recipe, cut and paste from the original post to my cardfile and then here:


Lazy Sunday Stew
I come up with lots of recipes on the weekend, when it’s fun to experiment with what you have in the pantry. I just love this easy to throw together all-in-one meal. Kids and grown ups alike enjoy the potatoes added to what resembles a kind of mild chili.

1 bag frozen hash brown potatoes (try ore-Ida, check labels)
2 14 oz. tomato sauce
1 can water
1 big can kidney beans (or 2 14 oz. cans)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
1 cup frozen corn
5 oz. or about 1 cup frozen spinach
3 Tbls. Chili powder
2 Tbls. cumin powder
1 Tbls. garlic powder
1 Tbls. vinegar (opt.)
3-4 green onions, chopped (opt.)
salt to taste

Combine all in a big pot and heat until the potatoes are tender and all flavors are blended.


Jill Ovnick
June 7, 2010
http://www.foodforlife.me/FFL/Recipes/Entries/2010/6/7_Lazy_Sunday_Stew.html

My changes:
None of the stores here sell no-salt added tomato sauce in cans larger than 8 ounces, so instead of opening 4 cans I just used a jar of no-salt, no-oil marinara sauce.

I'm not using the vinegar.

Those are the only changes made.

This looks like a lot of spices, but I'm hoping that after sitting on the stove a few hours they mellow out a bit. This wiped me out of all three of those spices so tomorrow I'll hit the HFS, the only place around that sells spices in bulk, and load up again. They haven't had chili powder for a while now and hope they finally got some in. If not, I'll have to buy a smaller amount at the grocery store and mail order some from Penzey's.

The apartment is starting to smell pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment