Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hominy Casserole and Tomato Vegetable Pot Soup

No photos today, because the pictures Letha put on her blog to go along with her casserole recipe are much better than any of mine will ever be.

It's just coincidental that there's currently a thread on hominy on the "mothership," as Letha used to call the official McDougall forums, but I've had my menus made up months ahead of time (I have through March already written out right now) and tonight's dinner is going to be this casserole of Letha's.

With my husband having to do hours of mandatory overtime every week from December through February and maybe beyond, I want easy recipes that won't go bad if they have to stay simmering an extra hour or so if the trains are behind schedule. Jeff's SNAP recipes fit the bill, and I made one of his yesterday for dinner, my version of his Cream of Kitchen Stew, tossing in all the drips and drabs of frozen veggies floating around the freezer, like half cup of corn, 3/4 cup peas, half bag of kale, etc. I think I had 6 different veggies in there by the time I was done. Unlike how Jeff makes them, toss and heat and ready in 10 minutes, I like my veggies softer, and I love to start these SNAPs in the heavy pot that comes with the pressure cooker and let them simmer for a few hours with the glass lid, not the pressure cooker mechanism. Toss a few herbs and spices in after hubby walks in the door and a nice hot meal is ready for him. With the outside temps in the teens when he gets in, he really appreciated it.

Tonight is Letha's Hominy Casserole, and as I said, her blog post about it does more justice than I ever could. Go see it for yourself. She may not be McDougalling any more or updating the blog, but many of us are thankful she didn't delete it because there's a lot of good recipes and information there.

My changes:

  • a box of Pomi chopped tomatoes instead of a can of diced
  • a large onion instead of medium
  • frozen green beans instead of canned
  • a little bit of green pepper as well as the red, only because I had some left over from the other day when I made Black Bean Sloppy Joes. It was a BIG pepper!


To go along with that casserole I'll also make Dr. Fuhrman's Tomato Vegetable Pot Soup. I thought I already did a blog post about this but it doesn't come up in a search, so I guess not.


Tomato Vegetable Pot Soup

6 cups water
4 tablespoons lentils
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest
3 garlic cloves, chopped
8 tomatoes, chopped
1 broccoli stalk, chopped
2 onions, chopped
4 potatoes, chopped
1 pound carrots, chopped
1 cup green beans, chopped
1 cup cabbage, chopped
1 organic celery stalk, chopped



My changes:

  • 2 boxes Pomi chopped tomatoes instead of 8 fresh tomatoes
  • about twice the about of cabbage (Okay, maybe a bit more)
  • frozen sliced green beans instead of fresh; ditto the broccoli
  • gotta toss in some of those shiitaki mushrooms I got Sunday. Not so much that they change the taste of the soup, but enough to satisfy Dr. Fuhrman's daily G-BOMBS recommendation. 
Between the 2 dishes we'll fill our tummies and get nice and warm so when the wind-chill hits the negative numbers overnight we'll be able to sleep right through them comfortably. I'll also have plenty of leftovers for lunches. Nice!


No comments:

Post a Comment