Sunday, January 20, 2013

Maple Glazed Tofu Ham

I found this recipe while roaming the Internet. Someone said ti resembles ham and made great "ham" sandwiches, so decided to try it today.


Maple Glazed Tofu
Submitted By: doll
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 15 Minutes
Servings: 2
"A vegetarian alternative for ham."
Ingredients:
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional)
2 tablespoons brown mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (8 ounce) container firm tofu, drained and cubed
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
Directions:
1. Whisk together maple syrup, pineapple juice, soy sauce, and mustard in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the tofu. Cook and stir until the tofu is evenly browned. Stir in syrup mixture and continue to cook until the glaze has reduced. Top with sesame seeds.
Printed from Allrecipes.com 4/13/2012

My changes:
First off, I pressed a 14 ounce package of Naysoya Extra Firm tofu for about an hour.

Instead of cutting it into cubes, I cut the pressed 'fu into 8 slices.

I dry-fried them until browned in a non-stick skillet and omitted the oil.

The marinade:
I just realized I forgot the mustard. Oops! Would have made a great addition, too.

I never have pineapple juice around but just this morning bought a package of 4,1/2 cup servings of pineapple chinks with a 50 cent off coupon. It took the liquid of 2 of those cups to make 1/2 cup of pineapple juice. I tossed all the fruit bits in, too, because pineapple goes great with ham.

Everything whipped up in a very short time. The tofu took about 10 minutes to brown on both sides, then I tossed in the liquid and fruit and let it boil away for about another 10 to 15 minutes. There was still a bit of liquid left, but by then my husband was drooling at the sight of it so went ahead and served the tofu and fruit onto whole wheat Kaiser rolls then took a spoon and poured a bit of the liquid over the tofu on each sandwich. Oops, I also forgot the sesame seeds. And I had them out on the counter, too.

Sorry, no photos, because we devoured these before I remembered I wanted a shot.

We moaned with delight at the taste of them, but after the first bite or 2 both of us were doing Tigger (from Winnie the Pooh) quotes about icky, sticky stuff that's only fit for heffalumps and woozles. The mustard would have helped cut the sweetness.

Another great meal that we will do again, but next time with all the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment