Friday, April 12, 2013

Blueberry Dumpster Fire Cobbler

This is one of those rare times I wish I still had a silicone cake pan.

I made this recipe from the Engine 2 web site, Blueberry Dumpster Fire Cobbler:


Blueberry Dumpster Fire Cobbler
Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Ingredients:
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla
2/3 cup milk substitute
3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
2 cups blueberries
Instructions:
Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
Combine vanilla, milk substitute, and agave nectar or maple syrup in a measuring cup.
Add contents of measuring cup to dry ingredients and mix until smooth. The batter will be runny.
Pour the batter into a non-stick 8-inch square pan. Sprinkle the blueberries over the batter. Bake for 45 minutes or until browned.

If you look at it from this view, it looks pretty good:













but on the opposite side of the plate:













The whole soggy center of the cake was so heavy with blueberries that as it cooled it sort of fused itself to the center of my tried-and-true non-stick cake pan and when I went to turn it out onto the platter, the entire center of the cake and this bit on the side chose to remain in the cake pan. I had to grab a silicone spatula and scoop it out, plopping it back into the center of the cake, smoothe it out a bit, but by then that side piece was stuck fast to the blueberry goo and wasn't going to move again.

Once it sat a while it solidified and was very easy to cut into quarters and my husband even ate his without a fork and not one blueberry dropped.

It was a very tasty cake, and while I wouldn't serve it to guests, I would certainly make it for my husband again. It all came together in less than 5 minutes. The only change I might make next time is to use fresh blueberries instead of the frozen ones. It would probably have been less soggy. But these organic frozen blueberries I have are such cute tiny ones, about a third to half the size of fresh supermarket blueberries and much tastier, which is why I chose them. Oh, well.


No comments:

Post a Comment