Sunday, September 14, 2014

VeganMoFo Day 14 - Golden Gravy


No list of favorites is complete without gravy!

This is one of our favorites as well as Mary McDougall's. It appeared in the January 2013 newsletter, but I've had it in my recipe cardfile for years, so it must have appeared on-line or in one of the books before that.

CREAMY GOLDEN GRAVY 
This gravy literally takes minutes to put together. Sometimes my boys eat just a bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy for a snack. For dinner, we serve this meal with sautéed broccolini or green beans.

Preparation Time:  5 minutes

Cooking Time:  10 minutes
Servings:  makes 2 cups

2 cups vegetable broth

2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons tahini
¼ cup brown rice flour
freshly ground black pepper

Place all the ingredients, except the pepper, in a small saucepan.  Stir well to mix.  Cook over medium–low heat, stirring occasionally until smooth and thick.  Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.  Serve at once.


Hint: This may be made ahead and refrigerated.  It will thicken slightly more when refrigerated.  To reheat, place in a saucepan, add a small amount of water, whisk to combine and then heat slowly, stirring occasionally, until hot.


For purposes of VeganMoFo I did use the tahini this time, but usually leave it out. It's a wee bit less creamy without it but tastes just as great.

I never use rice flour but always use either white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour. I never have a problem getting this to thicken, unlike recipes that call for cornstarch.




One of our favorite meals. My husband calls this Unchicken Dinner, because it has everything a down-home chicken dinner would have except for the chicken itself. During the rest of the year I usually make this meal every Sunday, alternating the veggies and gravy. This time it's the Golden Gravy with baby carrots and cooked mixed greens.

Comfort food at its finest.

1 comment:

  1. I'm planning to try making my own gravy soon, and this recipe is the simplest I've found so far, plus it looks like it turns out great! Definitely will try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete