Tuesday, September 23, 2014

VeganMoFo Day 23 - Easy Taco Casserole


This is very similar to all the other Mexican Casseroles out there, whether they're from Mary McDougall or the Engine 2/Forks over Knives folk. This one is from the September 2004 McDougall newsletter:

Easy Taco Casserole

As I have mentioned many times before, my family really likes spicy, Mexican flavored foods. We like to come up with variations, such as the previous recipes for Mexican Pasta Surprise and Polenta with Black Beans, and this is another one that is so simple anyone can prepare it in almost no time at all. We like to roll this up in a tortilla, but it can also be served over rice or a baked potato.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4-6

1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 ½ cups salsa, mild, medium or hot
1 package Bearitos Taco Seasoning

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Hints: Some grated soy cheese may be sprinkled over the top of the casserole for the final 15 minutes of baking, if desired.


I used half a package of frozen diced onions and green bell peppers combination. It sure beats hand-chopping!

Instead of leaving a half cup of salsa in the 2-cup jar I use the whole thing.

Nobody around here sells Bearitos brand anything, so I used a package of my favorite Mexican flavoring, Old El Paso Fajita mix. It has less sodium than the taco seasoning and isn't as hot.

And even though Mary McDougall recommended the soy cheese that her husband doesn't allow, I never use it.



This was my husband's second helping, served over a wedge of Happy Herbivore's cornbread. I had mine over some leftover rice. I forgot to take the photo when the bowls were still clean.

It's a very tasty recipe, but I don't see the need for heating up the kitchen to make it in the oven. Doing this in the microwave, a slow-cooker/pressure cooker, even in a pot on the stove would do just fine.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting - I've bookmarked this and a couple of other McDougall recipes you've posted to try out.

    Re this though: And even though Mary McDougall recommended the soy cheese that her husband doesn't allow, I never use it. - While I rarely use soy cheese myself and don't recommend it to others, I don't think it's accurate to say that John McDougall doesn't "allow" soy cheese, and imply that his wife is going behind his back. Two of his books that I checked - the 12 Day Program and the Quick and Easy Cookbook - say that it is a rich food that can be used very sparingly, and list specific brands. His web site says the same thing. Though honestly I am a bit surprised that he would knowingly recommend a packaged food that contains oil, it is on his list.

    ReplyDelete