Thursday, September 11, 2014

VeganMoFo Day 11 - Layered Bean Casserole


This is probably my husband's all time favorite meal right now. Well, the original version of it, at least. He loves it so much it was the first meal I made him when he got home after his CABG last year, and if I listened to him would make it at least once a week. I even wrote a VeganMoFo post about it back in 2012.

Mary McDougall dolls it up a little with extra ingredients.

Layered Bean Casserole

This recipe was originally posted on the McDougall Discussion Board several years ago.  I have modified it slightly for taste and convenience.  I really like recipes that can be prepared ahead and then popped into the oven just before dinner.

Preparation Time:  20 minutes
Cooking Time:  45 minutes
Servings: 6

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Bottom layer:
1  15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1  15 ounce can red or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1  15 ounce can chili beans in oil-free sauce, undrained
1  8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed slightly
¼ cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons chili powder

Mix all above ingredients together and ladle into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, distributing evenly.

Middle layer:
1  15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup fresh salsa
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard

Place all above ingredients in a food processor and process until very smooth.  Pour over the bean layer and spread evenly.

Top layer:
1  20 ounce bag fresh shredded oil-free hash brown potatoes

Sprinkle the potatoes evenly over the bottom two layers.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until potatoes are brown and sauce is bubbly.

Hints:  Serve with hot sauce to drizzle over the top for more heat, or serve with tofu sour cream to mellow it out a bit.


My changes:

In the original I use Southern Style hash browns, the diced ones. For this recipe I use the shredded hash browns as written.

For the canned chili beans, I use whichever version of the no-salt chili from Health Valley that Tame Tomato happens to be the one I had on hand, but doesn't seem to be available from VitaCost at the moment. VitaCost did have it when I last ordered.


I change the order around a bit, too. The bean mixture stays on the bottom, but I put the potatoes in the middle and top it with the sauce. I don't like sharp-as-nails crunchy hash brown shards and prefer them moister.

No matter which recipe I use, this dish is heavenly and if it wasn't for the heat during the summer I probably would make either version of it weekly. I've even made it in the microwave and lived with soggy potatoes. That's how good it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment