Sunday, April 19, 2015

Mushrooms McDougall


This is one of the earliest Mary McDougall recipes I ever tried. My husband loved it, yet, because I was never that much of a mushroom lover, I rarely made it. Hubby started a week's vacation last Monday and I wanted to start him off with something a little different. As I mentioned in my Family Menus post, most Sundays we eat a meal our son started calling Unchicken Dinner back when he was a little kid. Potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, a load of veggies, and some kind of gravy. Last Sunday, instead of gravy, I made making these mushrooms. Here's Mary's write-up of the recipe in the July 2004 newsletter on-line:

MUSHROOMS MCDOUGALL
I have recently rediscovered this old favorite of ours.  We like this plain, on baked potatoes and on burritos.  It is really quick if you buy presliced mushrooms!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings:  4


1/4 cup water
1 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1  4 ounce can chopped green chilies
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup sherry
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
 fresh ground pepper to taste


Place water in a large pan or wok.  Bring to a boil, add mushrooms, green onions, garlic and chilies.  Cook and stir for a minute or two, then add the remaining ingredients.  Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until all liquid has been absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
Serve rolled up in a burrito shell with fresh salsa; use on top of beans in a Mexican-style burrito; or serve on top of baked potatoes. This is wonderful on almost anything!

I used the pre-sliced mushrooms, but since the package no longer says they're also pre-washed I rinsed them well and let them dry for over an hour before using.

Our store only had these very small bundles of scallions, only about 8 thin scallions in each, and most of them were brown or yellowed and wilting. I was able to find 2 that weren't, and one was needed for a different recipe later in the week. I added a few freeze-dried scallions to the pan as they were all cooking to make up for it.

The last time I made these was years before my husband's gout attacks and I always had a bottle of cooking sherry in the pantry that I used. Since all alcohol is contraindicated for people with gout, I used the substitute of half apple cider vinegar and half water as suggest in numerous cooking sites on-line. If you can handle alcohol, or have access to non-alcoholic sherry, go for it, although it didn't taste that much different from what I remembered.



The finished product. My husband likes to eat sloppy foods in a bowl instead of on a plate and this was no exception. Under the mushrooms are nuked Yellow Gold potatoes and spinach. 

I think this has now earned a place on our regular rotation. We both loved every bite of this meal, and next time I make it I'll probably add a fourth box of mushrooms, just to have a bit more leftovers for lunch the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment