Monday, July 6, 2015

Barbecue Bean Salad


This is the last of the 4 salads I made. Unlike the other 3 which filled my largest Pyrex container, this one didn't even fill the 6-cup size. Since we had use of our kitchen and sink again there was no need to go back to the store and pray they had decent potatoes and serve this over them for dinners, so we just used it like the leftovers of the others, for lunches, and one night for an after dinner snack.

Barbecue Bean Salad
Servings: 4
Prep time: 10 minutes

2, 15-ounce cans small red beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/3 cup oil-free honey Dijon mustard style salad dressing
1/4 cup barbecue sauce

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss well to mix. Serve at once or refrigerate until serving time.

Again, I used the Esselstyn 3-2-1 Dressing, this time mixing it with Thick Bone Sucking Sauce.

I LOVE this stuff! A few months ago we made our first ever trip to Whole Foods, and along with a bunch of sweet potatoes and one of nearly every Engine 2 product the store had, I bought 2 jars of this because everyone who ever wrote about it on-line loved it. Now I know why. My husband plans on taking a day off work in a few weeks so we can make another trip to the store again, and this time I plan on getting no Engine 2 products, even more of those assorted sweet potatoes, and at least 6 jars of this stuff. I have only a fraction of a jar left and have been rationing it for weeks. They just better have it on the shelf when we go or I'll be really disappointed.

And so ends the emergency slew of salads. We were surprised at how much we liked them, although as I wrote yesterday, we were both starting to get really tired of beans and corn, corn and beans. This coming week I plan on making up the recipes I had planned for last week so I can use up the ingredients I bought for them before they go bad. After that? Well, maybe I'll choose a few more of those Mary McDougall salads to try. The Quick and Easy book had a few more I would like to try, and every McDougall book with recipes has a bunch, too. I already have my eyes on some potato salads, a garbanzo bean one, even one made with Italian bread. Hopefully they'll all be as tasty as these turned out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment