Monday, September 24, 2012

Jeff Novick's SNAP Curried Potato Stew


We love Jeff Novick's SNAP meals in this house. Today I'm making his Curried Potato Stew (version 1) which can be found on this page of his Facebook site. Here's the recipe:

Curried Potato Stew

4 large Russet Potatoes
2 Lb Frozen Mixed Vegetables
4 oz Frozen Collards
...Minced Garlic
Curry Powder

-Dice potatoes into chunks and place them in a large pot.
-Cover with water and bring to a boil
-Let simmer to potatoes are soft
-Add in Vegetables an seasoning and cook 5 more minutes.


I made a few changes. Instead of all Russets I used a combination of Russets and Yukon Gold potatoes, and equal to a lot more than 4 big Russets, too. I want leftovers.

I used kale instead of collards, mainly because our grocery store rarely carries collards.

Instead of the frozen mixed vegetable blend I used a pound of frozen cauliflower, a pound of frozen peas.

I used both minced garlic and garlic powder to get a real garlicky taste. Hey, we'll be married 35 years in November and garlic played a big part in that. LOL I also added cumin as well as curry powder for a spicier stew. I'll probably add a bit more just before serving of all the spices.

I dump everything in at the beginning, and because we like our veggies soft, let them cook way longer than 10 minutes - over an hour. Some of the cauliflower was still hard.

Because mine didn't look like Jeff's (I had clear water and his is green and cloudy) I reached for my handy dandy potato masher and mashed it all up a bit, just enough to turn the water a slight green and thick so it looks like Jeff's example.

And that's it. The house once again smells delicious - at least to us. The landlord is Greek and does a lot of their own ethnic cooking, including lamb roasting, and we don't complain, and the other tenant fries up a lot of fish almost daily, so they doesn't dare complain about a bit of curry up on the top floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment