Tuesday, March 5, 2013

7-Layer Casserole

Here's another older McDougall recipe, 7-Layer Casserole. SB on the McDougall forums shared her take on it:


Seven Layer Casserole
from The McDougall Health-Supporting Cookbook
[Edit 2: I see from below that 3/4 cup of water is in the original recipe. This was left out of the version I copied from the message board. (I had often wondered about that!) Anyway, 1/2 cup of it is poured over the sauce on the bottom half and 1/4 cup of it is pour over the sauce on the top half.]
 
Ingredients for Bottom Half
Layer 1 cup each of the following in a 9" x 13" baking pan/casserole dish:
* Uncooked brown rice
* Cooked kidney beans, drained (can use canned)
* Diced raw potatoes
* Frozen green peas
Then pour one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce over it. (NOTE: Some use more sauce and/or add some water to the sauce.)
Ingredients for Top Half
On top of the tomato sauce, layer 1 cup each of the following:
* Diced raw green pepper
* Frozen corn kernels
* Diced raw onions
Then sprinkle with black pepper to taste and pour one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce evenly over the top. (NOTE: Some use more sauce and/or add some water to the sauce.)
Directions:
Cover and bake for 1 hour in a preheated 350-degree oven; then uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
SB's NOTE: I usually add a layer of chopped raw collard greens between the beans and potatoes and mix a few ounces of water with the sauce. Plus, I often sprinkle a little Italian seasoning on top of most every layer to perk up the tomato sauce -- which should be a McD-legal type, of course.

My changes:
I added a third can of sauce along with the extra water.
Baby spinach was layered between the corn and onions.
I used this Italian Herb Mix from Penzey Spices.  
And I think I was a bit too liberal with the black pepper. I got more than one mouthful that burned, although my husband said he didn't notice any at all.

Another nice, quick to put together meal. Between the 2 of us we ate the whole thing with no leftovers. As you might be able to see in the picture, it only took up about half the casserole dish. About an hour later I ate some fresh strawberries and hubby reached for his fig bar cookies. Next time I think I'll add another can of beans with the top layer and maybe double the veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment