Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tiggers Definitely Don't Like Hunny

That was the thought that ran through my head when I ate lunch yesterday. No, it wasn't anything with honey - I'm just weird and the craziest things hop into my head. It was this meal, Carrot and Cabbage Medley. This is a favorite around here, and for some reason when I made it last weekend for Saint Patrick's Day dinner, we had a ton of leftovers. I think it was the cabbage - I spent over 15 minutes trying to find a head that wasn't funny looking or discolored in the store that morning. Most of them looked like the leaves were rusted or had a fungal infection. I never saw such awful looking cabbages. 

Anyway, I packed 2 full and one half-full 3-cup glass Pyrex storage containers and popped them into the freezer for lunch on Saturday. Friday I took them out to defrost and yesterday dumped the still partially frozen contents into a pot and slowly reheated it all.

When lunchtime came we sat down with our bowls and dug in. As soon as I bit into that first potato, the quote that's the subject of this post popped into my head. Yukon Gold potatoes do NOT freeze well at all! This was a watery, spongy mess! The skins slipped off just by looking at them so at any time one would wind up with a fork full of skins and no potato or cabbage. Ew!

My husband had no complaints. He grabbed his bottle of sriracha and devoured his bowl and went back to finish the pot off with an even larger serving for seconds. I ate most of mine but had a few soggy spuds left over that hubby finished off, too.

Next time? Well, go cabbage shopping earlier than the day I plan on eating it so if one store has nothing but sick looking produce I can fight my way through the other grocery store in town and hope they had something better.

And never freeze a meal with potatoes again. If it doesn't all get eaten that day, even if it's enough for another whole meal, just keep it in the refrigerator until it either gets eaten or goes bad and gets tossed (A very rare occasion here). But never freeze it!

1 comment:

  1. I think I had the same epiphany that you did when I first reheated a frozen potato dish. It was pretty horrible.

    ReplyDelete