Saturday, September 14, 2013

VeganMoFo Day 14 - French Toast

My husband isn't much of a breakfast eater, but he doesn't mind eating breakfast foods at lunch time. He had French toast made the tradition way, with eggs, for breakfast while recuperating from by-pass surgery in the hospital. Yes, it's a crime what they serve heart patients! That was the first time he's had it since, oh, who knows! I may have made it fresh once or twice in our 36 year marriage, and when our son was a kid, frozen was the name of the game. I've made them for myself a few times while he was at work, but he never had a vegan version of them before.

French Toast

Servings - 8
Prep time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 5 minutes (in batches)

1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
2 teaspoons EnerG Egg Replacer
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
Pinch of turmeric
8 slices whole wheat bread

Place the milk, egg replacer, and turmeric in a blender jar. Process until mixed and pour into a shallow bowl.

Preheat a non-stick griddle until a drop of water skitters across the surface.

Dip slices of bread in the milk mixture, coating both sides, then cook on a dry griddle until brown on both sides.

The McDougall Program for A Healthy Heart
John McDougall, M.D. and Mary McDougall
(1996), ISBN: 0-452-27266-1 
page 292

Another quick and tasty meal, just right after a hard day at cardiac rehab. I always eat mine plain but he enjoyed maple syrup on his. Unfortunately, even with a non-stick griddle, these things stuck like they were fused on. I can make Jeff Burgers with no problem, but things like French toast and pancakes are another story. I may have to start putting a bit of oil on the pan first if I make these again, but I hate to have to do it. I'd rather find something else to eat, but today I promised him the French Toast so this is what he got:
Looks lousy but tastes great

I have to keep an eye on his sugary stuff intake. His latest lab work showed total cholesterol down under 150, thanks to the statin, but his triglycerides are over 200, thanks to the cans of ginger ale and glasses of OJ he's been drinking. He used the old excuse that they gave it to him at the hospital, so why can't he have it at home. I reminded him they gave him chicken with gravy and salisbury steak, too, but he knows them to be unhealthy foods. So I'm the bad guy taking one of his last vices away from him. I'll let him have one 7-ounce can of ginger ale a day with his dinner, and when this container of OJ is gone I'm not replacing it. By doing this, it'll be safe for him to have the little bit of sweeteners with meals, like the syrup on this and next week's pancakes or raisins in an upcoming dinner dish.

Now while I understand his triglycerides *might* have been elevated because of his recent rapid weight loss, if I can get him off of soda permanently, I'll avoid his puppy dog eyes and keep the liquidy sweets restricted.

No comments:

Post a Comment