Wednesday, September 25, 2013

VeganMoFo Day 25 - Spicy Potato Stew

We've got another winner on our hands! As soon as my husband took his first forkful of this stew he commented on how delicious it is and hoped I would make it again soon.

Spicy Potato Stew
servings: 6
Preparation time: 15 minutes (needs cooked red potatoes)
Cooking time: 25 minutes

1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red or green pepper, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup water
1 fresh tomato, chopped
14 1/2 ounce can stewed tomatoes, Mexican-style
1/2 cup salsa
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 - 14 1/2 ounce cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups total)
2 cups cooked red potatoes, cut into chunks
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Place the onion, bell pepper, garlic and water in a pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.

Add the fresh tomato and cook for 2 more minutes, then add the stewed tomatoes, salsa, parsley and cumin. Cook for another 2 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.

Serve over rice or other whole grains.

The McDougall Program for A Healthy Heart
(1996), ISBN: 0-452-27266-1 
page 341 


Now for my changes:

Once again I used the frozen diced onion and pepper mix, a cup total.

Dorot garlic cubes instead of fresh minced. We love garlic so I used three cubes.

I can't find specific-flavored stewed tomatoes in no-salt added form, so used regular stewed with the addition of lots of Mrs. Dash salt-free Fiesta Lime seasoning. I love this stuff and wish the stores around here would get it back, but the Mrs. Dash sections of 3 different stores have been bare, and Amazon vendors are crazy, asking as much as $6 for a 2 1/2 ounce bottle of this.

I used 4 red potatoes, which came out to a bit more than 2 cups. I had nuked them earlier and had them in the refrigerator.



Doesn't that look great? 

I used the same grain blend I used in this VeganMoFo recipe, finishing off the bag. In fact, the recipe itself says it makes 6 servings, but it made for us 2 generous ones and 2 smaller ones with no leftovers. Good. I'm sick of leftovers!

One week left to this year's VeganMoFo. Has everyone been keeping up with some of the other McDougallers' blogs? If so, what are some of your favorite posts? I have to confess that with everything I have going on, I haven't, but will when I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment