Thursday, December 26, 2013

Dee's Christmas Soup

A few years ago, McDougaller "landog" posted this recipe he called "Dee's Christmas Soup," so-named because he likened the red and green veggies in it to Christmas colors. In going with my Christmas-colored food theme this week, I decided to make up a batch for yesterday's Christmas lunch. Here's how he shared the recipe:

Dee's Christmas soup
Can of diced tomatoes (no added salt)
can of tomato sauce (no added salt)
2 cans of water (rinse out the cans of tomato)
kale (lots)
chopped onions
sliced carrots
1/2 - 1 lb. frozen corn
black pepper
paprika
oregano
basil

Bring to boil, then simmer 20 minutes.


Here's how I made it:

Tomatoes - I used a box of Pomi chopped.
Sauce - 2 8-ounce cans of Hunt's no-salt added tomato sauce
Kale - About a cup of frozen chopped kale
Onions - Half a bag of frozen diced
Carrots - a cup of shredded carrots. The rest of thebag went into the lasagna for dinner.
Corn - a whole bag of frozen sweet white corn
Spices - I just went by feel and even though I added some early in the cooking, I added more near the end. I used maybe a tablespoon total of oregano, a teaspoon each of paprika and basil, then another half teaspoon of smoked paprika. Pepper I added at the table.

It went together nice and quick, perfect for a lazy holiday lolling about watching A Christmas Story for the 5th time in one day while opening gifts. Served with a slice of hearty home-made multi-grain bread and it filled our tummies nicely.

When my husband is finally able to tolerate beans again after his gout finally settles down (Dr. Fuhrman says in a few months to a year, in some posts on his forums, before reintroducing higher-oxilate foods), I'll toss a can of either kidney or cannelini beans in the pot and make this hearty enough for a dinner soup meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment