Saturday, August 9, 2014

More VeganMoFo News


I found out today that one of the members of Engine 2 Extra is going to participate in VeganMoFo this year, and her theme is going to be recipes from The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook that comes out September 2, 2014. As soon as she posts the name and url of her blog I'll post it here.

In the meantime, the Esselstyns have posted some photos of and from the book on their Instagram site. Not only do you see what some of the meals look like made up, but if you look real close at some of the photos of the book's pages you can even make out the recipes themselves.

I hate to say this, and will probably have to eat my words in the future, but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about these recipes. Cheezy Rounds - slices of zucchini dredged in nutritional yeast before baking/frying? Oatmeal with fruit? Yet more hummus and kale sandwiches? Grilled watermelon? Open faced tomato sandwiches? Chickpea omelets? Lasagna? Quinoa and Mango salad AND black rice and mango salad? Mango ice cream (instead of banana ice cream)? Pasta primavera sauce? Many of these recipes are either very basic or have been covered in other cookbooks, such as those of Mary McDougall or Isa Moskowitz. Reminds me of the HH cookbooks.

Maybe I'll hold off on my pre-order until I can do a "look inside the book" and see if anything jumps out at me before spending the money for it sight-unseen. I wish we had a bookstore around here - that would be so much better to skim it in person! I never bought Forks Over Knives Cookbook or the China Study Cookbook, either, because I knew I would never make any of those recipes after looking through the 2 of them. I'm so afraid I'll feel the same way about this book, too. I really want to love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment