Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Dr. McDougall's Next Book: The Healthiest Diet on the Planet


No cover art yet, but Amazon is now taking pre-orders for the next (last?) book by Dr. McDougall:

The Healthiest Diet on the Planet: Why the Foods You Love - Pancakes, Potatoes, Pasta, and More - Are the Solution to Preventing Disease and Looking and Feeling Your Best


What a long title!

It's not coming out until September, and will be in both print and e-book/Kindle version.

I was accused of being a wet blanket on the official forums when I didn't show extreme enthusiasm about the book when I mentioned how we all read what's going in it already (Color Picture Book and newsletter articles). Dr. McD himself wasn't all that enthused and sounded like he's only doing it for the paycheck, which was a hefty one, he hinted. I don't begrudge the good doctor the income from the book - he's probably aiming to retire in the not-too-distant future and could use the extra in his nest egg. He's already announced that this upcoming McDougall Hawaii trip will be the last and has hired another doctor (or 2?) to assist at the 10-day and ASW programs because it's become too much for him to do alone. But a published book of the Color Picture Book and newsletter articles? I wasn't too enthused with a lot of the articles when they first appeared the past few years. Some of them he just took web posts from other McDougallers; many of the others he had covered the subjects in the past, both in print/pixels or in videos. How many more times are we to hear the story of he and his father walking down the street oogling girls, proclaiming that only thin women are f***able (but in more polite terms)? The diet of Eskimos? Diet is better than pills for hypertension? The debates between low carb/Mediterranean/Paleo, etc. and high carb? His hatred of flu vaccines? I read them once, don't need to read them again. If I do, I can just go to the newsletter archive page. Yes, they're staying in the archives even though the same exact articles will appear in the book. He said he insisted to the publisher that the info remain free on the site.

Unless something drastic happens that will call for us to greatly curtail our non-essential spending, I'll buy the book, because as I wrote on the forums, I own everything else that I could get my hands on already. Will I buy both the Kindle and paper versions like I did some other books? Probably not. Will I encourage others to buy it? It depends. I still refer people to the old McDougall Plan or McDougall Program: 12 Days to Dynamic Health books or even MWLP before the newest one, The Starch Solution. Unless this book is vastly different than he said in the last 2 webinars that it will be, I don't see that changing.


No comments:

Post a Comment