Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What Irishman Doesn't Like Cabbage?

Today I'm making my version of Cabbage and Carrot Medley, originally from a Woman's World Magazine article on Irish cooking from March 21, 2006. The original recipe:

                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Cabbage and Carrot Medley

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Casserole                       Holiday
                Low-Fat                         MWLP
                Vegan                           Vegetables

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2             pounds  cabbage -- trimmed, cut into 2" slices
  4              large  carrots -- cut diagonally into 1/2" slices
  2                     leeks -- *see Note
     1/4           cup  packed brown sugar
  2        tablespoons  apple cider vinegar
  2        tablespoons  brown mustard -- spicy
     1/2      teaspoon  caraway seeds
     1/2      teaspoon  salt
     1/4      teaspoon  black pepper

Combine cabbage and carrots in a large pot, fill halfway with water, cover. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. drain and set aside - keep warm.

In the same pot, add 2 tablespoons of water and leeks. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil; return the cabbage/carrot mixture to the pot and stir.

Description:
  "Brown sugar adds sweetness to our buttery vegetables"
Source:
  "Woman's World Magazine,  Luck o' the Irish Feast! article"
Copyright:
  "March 21, 2006 issue"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 88 Calories; 1g Fat (7.0% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 225mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Leeks: White and light green portions only; halved lengthwise and sliced.

The original recipe called for the leek to be sautéed in butter.

Salt may be omitted for low-salt diets.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Carrot Cabbage Medley

Now for my variations. I just pick a nice sized head of cabbage. Sometimes it's really big, others it's on the small side. I choose the amounts of carrots accordingly.

Again, because of my laziness, I use baby carrots. If it's a large cabbage, I buy the large size bag; smaller cabbage, small bag.

Leeks? We don' need no steeking leeks! Just grab a big old onion (Vidalias are nice) and cut it into wedges and drop it in.

And what's an Irish stew without potatoes? I always toss in some Yukon Golds. Lately our store has had mesh bags, about 1 1/2 pounds' worth, of tiny fingerling-sized spuds and I just wash those and toss them in, mostly whole but the larger ones get cut in half.

I always forget the apple cider viengar. Sometimes I go back and add it in near the end, otehr times I just leave it ut. Nobody has noticed the difference.

I use a small handful of caraway seeds, bought in bulk at the local HFS.

I usually add a bit more mustard, too. Nothing fancy, just good old Gulden's.

If I have a smaller cabbage, I usually make a loaf of bread to go with it. If I'm energetic I'll make an authentic Irish soda bread, but usually it's just a plain loaf of whole wheat or rye that I toss in the bread machine. Today I have a big head of cabbage and loads of carrots and potatoes, so no bread.

Again, I use the big heavy pot from my pressure cooker and let this simmer all afternoon. The house smells fantastic! Well, at least to me it does. I don't know what the other families in this building think, but if I have to smell their lamb and fish, they can put up with my monthly cabbage meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment