Monday, November 15, 2010

VeganMoFo Day 15 Onion Soup

My pantry, fridge and freezer are over-flowing, so it's clean-out time.

Breakfast for me is my usual oatmeal with one of the apples in the fruit bowl.

Lunch will be a sweet potato or 2 that are already cooked and sitting in a bowl in the refrigerator.

Dinner for my boys will be some (non-vegan) ravioli from the freezer, garlic bread that's also been in the freezer, and soup. I'll be having leftovers once again, this time of rice and veggies that I made yesterday for lunch.

One thing I haven't made all last week and really want is soup. It doesn't have to be a hearty one, just some nice warm liquid to accompany a few meals. This onion soup does the trick. 

When I make it, I use a vegan, no-salt added veg broth and omit the soy sauce. I have to check the date on my Worcestershire sauce - if it's outdated (again - I don't use it enough) I'll skip it. It's so hard to find a vegan version that I skip it in recipes more than use it when called for.

Now this recipe says it makes 4 servings, but not here. Honestly, who eats only ONE cup of soup at a time? I'll be lucky if I have enough of this for the 2 of us to have one decent sized bowl each. In the past when I made this I usually doubled it, but I don't want any more leftovers so will make just the one batch today.

And once more I warn you to ignore the nutritional info added by Mastercook, because it assumes full fat, full salt broth.


                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Onion Soup - Q&E

Recipe By     :Mary McDougall
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:10
Categories    : McDougall                      Soup
                Vegan

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  5               cups  vegetable broth
  3              large  onions -- cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
     1/4           cup  sherry
  2        tablespoons  Worcestershire sauce
  1         tablespoon  soy sauce, low sodium
  1           teaspoon  dried onions -- minced
     1/2      teaspoon  minced garlic -- fresh
     1/2      teaspoon  onion powder
     1/4      teaspoon  ground thyme
                        freshly ground black pepper -- to taste

Sauté the sliced onions in a large soup pot in 1/2 cup of the broth for 10 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 more minutes.l

Source:
  "The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook, page 63"
Copyright:
  "1997"
T(cooking):
  "0:30"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 266 Calories; 5g Fat (17.5% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol; 2260mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Serve with a hearty loaf of bread to dunk in the flavorful broth. Or make some whole wheat croutons to float in the soup. Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF. Cut a slice of whole wheat bread into cubes; place on baking sheet and toast for 5 to 10 minutes. Can easily be made in a toaster oven, too.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0





No comments:

Post a Comment