Thursday, June 21, 2018

Ann & Jane - Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches

Jane usually jokes around about her mother being part goat because of all the hard, crunchy things she eats. That really must be true - how else can she bite into triple toasted Mestemacher bread! We have just one store in this city that sells it - the local health food store - and even when bought the day of delivery it's already hard as a cracker. Toasting even once renders it hard enough to be used as a shingle on a house!

And to me, open-face sandwiches are way too messy to make and eat, even if they were made on squishy white bread. I'd rather take a piece of bread and cut it in half, rather than go through that mess.

I used to love eating tomato sandwiches in the past. A nice thick slice of onion, raw or cooked, an equally thick slice of tomato, some shredded lettuce, and (in the long ago past) a dollop of Miracle Whip. Hummus is good, too. It was never an heirloom tomato, though, not at $3.99/pound for non-organic, $5.99 a pound organic (and each tomato weighing in at well over a pound each). Oh, this is making me drool! 

I really wish I could find a nice gluten free whole grain oil-free bread. Like potatoes, bread with gluten gives me all sorts of joint pains so I don't eat it all that often. When I do, it's usually a slice of Ezekial or Alvarado Street, although my husband loves Dave's. I'm not keen on that one - too many seeds and way too sweet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment