Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Ann & Jane - Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas


Ann and Jane are doing a recipe from Rip's book, Plant Strong (formerly known as My Beef with Meat) instead of one from Dr. Esselstyn's books. I have a few gripes about this one.

1) Those Ortega brand refried beans are WAY too high in sodium - 570 mg per half cup serving. Even Dr. McDougall would say to avoid this particular brand.

2) The toughness of those Engine 2 tortillas make me want to run from them. Come on, a sharp, strong knife like that, having trouble cutting a thin tortilla like those? Imagine the mess that's going to happen when someone tries (repeat, tries!!) to bite into that quesadilla?!?

I think I'd use a homemade batch of refried pinto or refried black beans with no added salt and use corn tortillas if I ever make these. This would go great with the Culinary Refried Beans mix that Mary McDougall advises in her Meal Planning video.


No comments:

Post a Comment