Saturday, June 16, 2018

Nope, Not for Me!


As Mr. Horse on Ren and Stimpy cartoons says:



And what is it I don't like?

Cut up grapes in my morning cereal.

For decades I would add a banana, if I added anything, but this morning decided to try Ann Esselstyn's suggestion of using sliced grapes, instead. Yecch! Way too sweet!

Now, I'm a child of the 1950's. We started out with hot cereals as babies with things like Pablum and Farina, graduated to cold cereals like Wheaties and corn flakes. Then, the sugary super sugar bomb cereals were unleashed! Sugar Crisp, Trix, Apple Jacks, Froot Loops (my 2 favorites), chocolate Rice Crispies and Coco Puffs (my older brother's fave), even our corn flakes became sugar coated (They're Grrrreat!). We had tigers, toucans, rabbits, frogs, even cowboys riding chariots,


telling us how good these cereals were for us. With 3 kids and a husband with a sweet tooth, my mom made sure we were always stocked up. Our kitchen shelves looked like Jerry Seinfeld would be jealous of, and he had a LOT of cold cereals in his TV show's kitchen:


 Actually, we may have had even more than this!

So, instead of a banana, today I cut up 8 tiny green grapes from a bunch I bought the other day. When eaten by themselves, they didn't taste unusually sweet, but mixed in with oats, they sure did! I couldn't even eat more than 2 or 3 pieces before digging them out of the bowl.

I think tomorrow will be a palate cleanser day and only have veggies for breakfast before heading out grocery shopping, then go back to my oats, either alone or with a banana Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment