Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Are We REALLY Following the (MWLP) Guidelines?


On the McDougall forums over the weekend, Amanda wrote this beautiful post about whether or not she was really following the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program guidelines. In it she goes line by line, commenting on whether she did or not. It was mentioned again in another post in a thread called Stuck for Months.

I admit I'm lax in some of these areas. Like Amanda, no meat, dairy, oils are a given, but I do have flour products by way of brown rice pasta every week, and I continue to add raisins to my morning oats most mornings. I blame Jeff Novick for the pasta because he compares it to unrefined complex carbohydrates in his caloric density chart and talks. What was that Dr. McDougall keeps saying about hearing good news about bad habits? Oh, and sun-dried tomatoes (botanically a fruit) to my grits and Mary's Bean Stew. But my meals always hit the "at least a third to half" as vegetables guideline, so I'm doing something right.

Here's the part Amanda quoted from the MWLP Guidelines thread:

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60. 
1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

There's way more in that guidelines message, like exercise and links to newsletter articles explaining MWLP, but you'll have to go there to read the rest. 

I know, I know. I really have to stop spending so much time on other food plans' Facebook community sites (like UWL, Engine 2, Potato Reset, even regular McDougall program/Starch Solution, and Ann & Jane Esselstyn YouTubes) and concentrate once again on McDougall Maximum Weight Loss ones only!

At least I now know which webinars to concentrate on in my rewatching of the McDougall webinars, as I mentioned in the last blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment