Thursday, October 16, 2008

VeganMoFo Day 16 - MWLP and Leftovers Again

Sorry about that, but that stew I made Monday made a LOT, thanks to me tossing some extra veggies in there.

I know there are some McDougallers following this blog, so instead of a recipe I'll post a page from the McDougall AZZ Cardfile I have. These are hints and tips on how to make life easier when following the Maximum Weight Loss version of his plan, bits and pieces I picked up over the years. I'm sorry, I don't have all the original authors of the posts and hints included, but I did save the url 's for many of them so you can just click and go to the original messages.

And I do highly recommend that AZZ Cardfile program to everyone who collects recipes.
I stick my recipes in here until I can get them into my MasterCook recipe program. I first downloaded the shareware version of it back around 1995, when Microsoft decided it wasn't going to include Cardfile with its Windows operating system anymore. Cardfile was a program I used daily on my old IBM PS/2 computer running Windows 3.1 back in the early 1990's and was so glad when the ladies from CreateACard Friends recommended it.



Now, on to the tips and hints file:


http://sonic.net/~mcdsite/drmcdougall.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=180&sid=57a35518cc4705728afef82cda5a68c9

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:26 am
When I did MWL I had to have a plan or I wouldn't have stuck with it. Like clockwork, every weekend I did the following to keep DH, DS & myself going for the week:

* baked a dozen potatoes

* baked 4 - 6 sweet potatoes

* baked squash (usually several varieties as I love winter squash)

* cooked a large pot (or two) of some kind of MWL soup

* cooked a large pot of beans

* cooked a large pot of brown rice (I always cooked another pot about Wednesday)

* cooked a pot of congee and/or oatmeal combo for quick breakfasts during the week

* cleaned and chopped 'tons' of lettuce (kept it in plastic bags, ready to go. Did this again on Wednesday or Thursday as we ate a lot of salad)

* cleaned and chopped 'tons' of veggies to throw into a quick salad (kept these in water in plastic containers in refrigerator, changing water every other day or so)

* chopped up several carrots, onions, peppers, etc. to have ready for stir-fry at a moments notice (kept these in water in refrigerator, also)


Note:- I used time savers to help with prep work and cooking. I didn't (and still don't) always chop by hand, I use a SaladShooter® slicer/shredder by Presto® (actually 2 of them that I've had for about 20 years and still love). Also, I used (and still use) my pressure cooker and sometimes my crockpot for beans, rice, soup, oatmeal & congee. This way, I saved time on the weekend as well as throughout the week with only having to reheat or toss together quickly.
_________________
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
random MWLP hints
Fat free black refried beans with brown rice, shredded lettuce, and diced tomatoes all mixed together. Or, I omit the rice and have it with baked corn tortilla chips. This also works well with chili beans. This mixture is also wonderful rolled up in corn tortillas and baked in the oven.

Potato wedges baked with Montreal steak seasoning--this is a spice in a jar that contains pepper, salt, a bit of sugar, and onion powder. I then dip them in ketchup--yum! I'm currently stuck on these.

Ore Ida hash brown squares with ketchup. I eat this for breakfast nearly everyday!

Hummus made with chick peas, roasted red pepper, garlic, and lemon juice. I find that I don't miss the olive oil or tahini at all. Serve with all sorts of raw veggies or baked corn tortilla chips.

Baked gold potatoes. I think these are my favorite kind of potatoes--they're the only ones that don't make me miss butter!

Cabbage, potatoes, baby carrots, and sweet onions baked together in a roasting pan with a can of vegetable broth is also wonderful. I dump all of this together with salt and pepper and cover with tin foil. It takes about 40 minutes to cook, at 375.
from Heffies
http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16530#16530
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love the combo of sweet potatoes or yams with black beans piled on top and a fruity salsa (mango pineapple, or peach) on top of that with fresh steamed broccoli on the side with just a touch of sesame ginger fat free dressing drizzled over the broccoli - yummmmmm.

I also love baked potato with bbq sauce, corn, and a third vegie of any kind.

real foods corn thins with salsa makes a great snack
seestorcoo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just made a quadruple batch of International Stew from the Quick and easy book and a large batch of brown rice boil in bags. I combine one bag of rice and top off with the stew in a four cup glad container for lunch.
I also enjoy Vegetable Chilli from the MWL book, also over rice and the Fried rice recipe from MWL. Also a tossed salad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I like beans, rice, and salsa rolled in lettuce leaves. It has this luscious texture, much better than it sounds. I also like corn, peas, and potatoes with seasoned salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Baked potatoes with BBQ, Cooked green beans
Carrots
Baked potatoes with FF refried beans, salsa from my favorite mexican restautrant. with sauteed scallions and button mushrooms.
Brown Rice Cakes
Puffed Corn Cereal
Sliced potatoes baked on a 'silpat'>non stick pan liner with paprika, garlic, parsely & salt dipped in ketchup with steamed brocillee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love a big tater, with cauliflower/broccoli/carrots and a ton of marinara sauce over it.

Also in the book, MWL there is a recipe for Mixed mushrooms w/ wild rice that is really good. One of my favorites.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spicy Yam Stew p 172
Millet Loaf p 163 (yummy with some kale cooked with shoyu or tamari)
Texas Crude p 176
Cauliflower Curry p 222
Szechuan Sauce p 342 (had with stir fried veggies and brown rice, added a little extra tamari and some agave nectar to sweeten)
Sweet Potato Puffs p 314 (keep these small!)
Sweet Squash Soup p 142
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And here are Dr. McDougall's newsletter articles where he recommends MWLP:


December 2004: Lose a Half Pound a Day - Setpoint
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl/041200pulose.htm

January 2005: Pushing Your Setpoint to the Limits - The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/050100pupushing.htm

July 2005: The Only Way to Lifelong Weight Loss
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/july/050700fav5.htm

April 2004: People - Not Their Words - Tell “The Carbohydrate Story”
http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/2004nl/040400pucarb.htm

January 2004: High Carbohydrate Diet Causes Effortless Weight Loss
http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/040100pufavorite5.htm

February 2005: All Popular Diets Are the Same - Failures
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/050200pupopulardiets.htm


And the menus from one of the early MWLP Weekends at his facility in California.
Menus for McDougall Weekend
September 24-26, 2004

Friday Dinner:
Mixed Green Salad with Fat-Free Dressing (Dressings, New McDougall Cookbook)
Honey Vinegar, Creamy Garlic, Strawberry Vinaigrette
Baked Yams
Steamed Green Beans
Polenta with Meaty Mushroom Stroganoff (Quick & Easy, page 154)
Brownies with Cashews (Quick & Easy, page 272)
Fresh Fruit Cobbler (McDougall Newsletter, May ‘04)
Vanilla Soy Ice Cream
Saturday Breakfast:
Nutty French Toast (Quick & Easy, page 9)
East West Breakfast (McDougall Newsletter, May ‘04)
Sliced fresh fruit
Whole wheat bagels
Soy milk & rice milk
Oatmeal
Low fat muffins
Low sugar cereals
Condiments: raisins, prunes, dried cranberries, raw cane sugar, honey, jams, jelly
Saturday Lunch:
Quick Black Bean Soup (McDougall Newsletter, April ‘04)
Cream of Mushroom Soup (Quick and Easy, Page. 71)
Garden Pizzas (Quick & Easy, page 189)
San Antonio Quinoa (Quick & Easy, page 29)
Thai Noodle Salad (McDougall Newsletter, May ‘04)
Potato Salad (Quick & Easy, page 20)
Whole Fruit in Basket: Apples, Pears, Bananas, Oranges, Plums, Peaches, etc.
Saturday Dinner:
Summer Vegetable Bisque (Quick & Easy, page 67)
Steamed Green Beans
Grilled, Sliced Portobello Mushrooms (Quick & Easy, page 206)
Mashed Potatoes (Quick & Easy, page 223)
Desserts topped with Vanilla Cream Topping (McDougall Newsletter, November ‘03)
Sunday Breakfast:
Veggie Benedict w/Extra Sauce (Quick & Easy, pages 9 & 234)
Salsa
Ketchup
Sliced fresh fruit
Whole wheat bagels
Soy milk & rice milk
Oatmeal
Low fat muffins
Low sugar cereals
Condiments: raisins, prunes, dried cranberries, raw cane sugar, honey, jams, jelly
Sunday Lunch:
Green Salad w/ Caesar Dressing and oil-free dressings
Asian Cous Cous Salad
Veggie Tofu Burgers (Quick & Easy, page 203) with condiments: sliced tomatoes, lettuce, onions, ketchup, mustard, sliced pickles, tofu mayonnaise
Whole Wheat Buns from Alvarado Street Bakery
Whole Fruit in Basket: Apples, Pears, Bananas, Oranges, Plums, Peaches, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment