Thursday, October 1, 2009

VeganMoFo 2009 Here! Nothing to Say

Sorry, but it caught me on the day I have to make my first cardiologist visit and I'm a nervous wreck about that, so for dinner I planned just spaghetti for my menfolk and leftover rice and veggies for myself.

Tell you what, if I get a good report (And I see no reason why I shouldn't except that my nerves are driving my blood pressure up) I'll make this McDougall-legal quickbread from Jan Tz, in honor of October.

PUMPKIN SPICE QUICK BREAD

Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
Grease an 8" x 8" square cake pan.

Combine the dry ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour (I use a combination white whole wheat and AP)
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda

In a separate bowl, mix the liquid ingredients thoroughly:
3/4 cup hot water, soymilk, or ricemilk
1 Tbs. + 1 tsp. white vinegar
1 cup canned pumpkin pie filling (see below)

When the oven reaches temp., add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix quickly and do not over-mix.

Dump into prepared pan.

Bake about 30 minutes -- toothpick test for doneness.

Remove from oven and let sit in pan 10 minutes.

Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.

Slice when completely cooled.

Variation: If you use pumpkin pie filling, note that it contains sugar already; you may want to reduce or eliminate the added sugar in this recipe, according to taste. If you want to use plain canned pumpkin, then use the sugar, and add 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice or 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, or according to taste.

You could also add 1/2 cup raisins to this. Soak 'em first to soften, then drain, and add in with the liquid ingredients.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I sometimes dress this cake up by taking a paper doily and dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar, then remove the doily to get a nice lacy design. My guys don't care, as long as the cake tastes great.

This particular version of the recipe came from a posting on the old McDougall recipe board which compiled all of Jan's quickbread recipes into one place. I don't know of many McDougallers who could have survived without Jan's recipes!

And now Isa is working on a new cookbook containing lower fat vegan recipes! Yippee! I'm sad I couldn't be a tester - I didn't volunteer because a lot of the more exotic ingredients in her other books are unavailable to me, like tamarind paste and even plain old tempeh - so I knew I would be a bad tester. I'm so jealous of those who made the cut.

Better go get ready for the doc - 8am appointment and I have to be there early to fill out all the new-patient paperwork. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment