Thursday, October 4, 2012

VeganMoFo Day 4 - SNAP Black Bean Chili

Today's SNAP meal isn't one of Jeff's but one of Letha's MWLP recipes.

For over a year, Letha posted frequently on the McDougall forums and even though her weight loss was slow ("Turtle Power" was her motto and a turtle was her avatar) she stuck with it, not only developing her own versions of McDougall recipes to post on her MWLP blog but starting up her own forum, McDougall Talk, before handing it off to another to run.

Then she vanished without a trace. No word of warning, no complaints about the McDougall program that may have hinted she was thinking of leaving, just there one day and gone the next.

Luckily she left up her blog with all the fantastic photos of the recipes she made. I'm making one of those recipes today, my own variations on her variation of Jeff's SNAP recipes.

SNAP Black Bean Chili 9000

Letha based this on Jeff's basic SNAP 5-ingredient formula of tomatoes, beans, vegetable, starch and spices. For this chili she used:


1 can of Black Beans, drained
1 Can diced Tomatoes
1 lb bag of frozen Bird's Eye brand peppers and onions
1 lb bag of frozen Bird's Eye brand corn, broccoli, & peppers
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons Penzy’s Chili 9000 seasoning
2 cups of Minute Brown Rice

Letha liked her chili hot/spicy but I don't, so instead of using the 9000 chili powder I'm using a milder, salt-free one from Penzy's. I'm also using a 28 ounce box of Pomi chopped tomatoes instead of a 15 ounce can of diced. I'll also toss in a bit of greens, one of Jeff's additions that doesn't count in his basic 5-ingredients.

When I make it, it looks very much like what Letha shows on her blog page, so I won't bother with any photos.



Because my husband is a big eater, I'll also make a cornbread to go with this meal, the same one I used in this VeganMoFo blog post from 2 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment