Sunday, October 7, 2012

VeganMoFo Day 7 - Rip's Big Bowl

Rip Esselstyn, son of Anne and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and a plant-strong pioneer in his own right with his Engine 2 Diet book, blog and website (and now pay forums), has a signature dish. Well, a couple, actually, but this is the one he shows when on various interviews, whether it's television,



or other media outlets.

Rip's Big Bowl is probably not endorsed by the biggies in plant-strong eating, but the cereals used are the whole grain versions. Okay, so I slipped a little with the frosted mini-wheats but I couldn't find any plain shredded wheat in the smaller size, not with the "health food" cereals or SAD ones. All I could find were those Brillo-pad sized original shredded wheats, and I really don't like those for a number of reasons.

Here's my version of it:


What you can't see are the flax seeds and tablespoon of crushed flax I added, and the rice milk I use to soak it all up to make it nice and mushy. And I don't have any kiwi or grapefruit so used golden raisins and a banana. OK, not "Rip's bowl" but close enough.

Most days I eat hot oatmeal with fruit for breakfast, and occasionally I splurge with scrambled tofu with oodles of veggies or hash browns with veggies, and a few months ago I tried green smoothies. I'm not really a cold cereal eater but keep them in the house for my son. I'll have the Big Bowl maybe once every 2 months or so, and only when I plan on staying in for the rest of the day. This is a very high fiber meal with just the right amount of fruit and flax seeds (Doctor McDougall recommends using them whole when things get sluggish), and trust me when I say this is a breakfast that cleans you right out! Remember the old story that goes around about how certain "cleanses" have made people, um, produce things that have sat around in the intestinal tract for decades, like Robin Quivers' Barbie doll shoes? Eat this bowl of fiber and never have to worry about anything like that ever happening!

Maybe it should be called Super Colon Blow, instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment