Wednesday, November 14, 2007

VeganMoFo - Plans go awry

I planned on making lasagna, fresh-baked Italian bread, and a tomato-y soup for dinner. It's waht hubby requested for his birthday today. I even have the tofu basil-ricotta cheese in the refrigerator.

Then the kid tells me he has a seminar to go to this evening at the college, that it starts at 7pm, meaning he has to leave here about 5:30pm to take his 3 trains to get there. So now he won't be home for dinner. It's not worth making a whole big lasagna - the kid's favorite food - without him being here, even if it was what hubby wanted on his birthday, so when DH called me from work at lunch time I told him my dilemma and he aid to skip the lasagna until tomorrow when everyone will be home, to surprise him for dinner.

Okay, a surprise birthday dinner of something he loves with the foods I already have in the house. Can't go shopping - I have $2 in my wallet.

Alright, a bag of red kidney beans! Picked through them (Very carefully - I chomped down on a lentil from a can yesterday) and tossed them in the Crockpot, covered, and on High it went. Chopped up an onion, a few cloves of garlic, tossed in a cup or so of frozen corn and mixed pepper strips, sausage flavored TVP, and 2 packages of Old El Paso fajita flavoring (The chili one is too hot for us).

Then I tossed on a pot of soup with a load of veggies. I think I'll add some of the tiny alphabet pasta that I bought by mistake, too.

Last step is cornbread from Vegan with a Vengeance.

Tomorrow we'll have the lasagna and as a special treat I'll grab my copy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and make some birthday cupcakes for the poor guy. He said no cake, but after deferring his birthday to one more convenient for the family he deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment