Sunday, November 25, 2007

VegMoFo Post - I'm Fat - So What?

I'm one of those people who was born fat into a fat family, and even when I starved myself on 1000 calories or less as a pre-teen I could never get the weight off with any success. For the past 20 or so years I've been following the McDougall Plan off and on, mostly on with a few indiscretions around holidays. I once lost 45 pounds on the Maximum Weight Loss Version, well, actually my version of the MWLP, which eventually brought me down to under 800 cal a day and was still gaining. And most of that weight has returned, anyway.

So I try to console myself in the fact that although I may still be fat and will be fat for the rest of my days, at least I'm healthier than the average Jo on the street because of my vegan food plan. My cholesterol is great, my blood sugars are no where near diabetic levels and even dip into the hypoglycemic range (thanks to CFS and hypothyroid), the arthritis is kept in check, and many other benefits. Better on the grocery budget, too.

Except for some goodies like Amy's Breakfast Burritos. Amy's Breakfast Burrito I love those things, but at $2.50 a pop I really can't afford to continue eating 2 a week, cut down to one a week, and now have to cut them out entirely. My job for this week is to find a recipe for these luscious rolls of goodness and fill my freezer with my own home-made ones. But for now, I'm sitting here waiting for this week's burrito to cool off enough so I can eat it without burning my mouth.

Lunch today is more veggies and rice. Yesterday I tried to have just a bowl of that Red Beans and Sweet Potato Soup for lunch, and by the time we ate dinner my blood sugar was crashing on the ground and I could barely think! I guess I'll finish up that soup with my veggies, too.

Today is Sunday, so we'll have our traditional Sunday dinner of burgers. I'll have the oat-burgers from a Bryanna Clark Grogan recipe that I think is on Dr. Barnard's diabetes book's PDF file, and the boys will eat their dead turkey ones.

My evening snack will be my usual banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment